Number two

Sorry if you didn't get the memo earlier, but today was the day to be out turkey hunting... They were gobbling like crazy!

I slept in Saturday morning and decided to do an afternoon hunt in an area that I haven't hunted in five years. This spot is where I shot my first turkey years ago. So I hiked up the mountain through clouds, rain coming in sideways and 25 mph wind. Got in there completely soaked head to toe and froze my ass off for about a hour before I had enough. It was truly miserable and the worst hunting conditions possible. As much as I hated being up there, I knew the turkeys hated the weather even more.

Of course I slept in Sunday. With the weather we had on Saturday, I figured the turkeys would be super active today. So I made the hike right back up there. Got in there about 11:30 and heard a gobble immediately. I tried to circle around and close in on the area where he was gobbling. I spotted him on a hill about 200yds away. Slipped in a little closer and sat down under a big oak. Started calling and he was answering back everytime. He was moving around but didn't sound like he was getting any closer. Then I hear different gobble from another direction but much closer. As he gobbled away, I could tell this bird was coming in. I finally spot him about 100yds away across the meadow. Full strut and gobbling at every call I make. At 40 yards it was game over.

Attachments

• DSCN0699 resize.JPG
    DSCN0699 resize.JPG
    762 KB · Views: 24

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu