Number two

Sorry if you didn't get the memo earlier, but today was the day to be out turkey hunting... They were gobbling like crazy!

I slept in Saturday morning and decided to do an afternoon hunt in an area that I haven't hunted in five years. This spot is where I shot my first turkey years ago. So I hiked up the mountain through clouds, rain coming in sideways and 25 mph wind. Got in there completely soaked head to toe and froze my ass off for about a hour before I had enough. It was truly miserable and the worst hunting conditions possible. As much as I hated being up there, I knew the turkeys hated the weather even more.

Of course I slept in Sunday. With the weather we had on Saturday, I figured the turkeys would be super active today. So I made the hike right back up there. Got in there about 11:30 and heard a gobble immediately. I tried to circle around and close in on the area where he was gobbling. I spotted him on a hill about 200yds away. Slipped in a little closer and sat down under a big oak. Started calling and he was answering back everytime. He was moving around but didn't sound like he was getting any closer. Then I hear different gobble from another direction but much closer. As he gobbled away, I could tell this bird was coming in. I finally spot him about 100yds away across the meadow. Full strut and gobbling at every call I make. At 40 yards it was game over.

Attachments

• DSCN0699 resize.JPG
    DSCN0699 resize.JPG
    762 KB · Views: 24
Strong work Way. You are a turkey machine!

Back