NWTF Youth Mentored Turkey Hunt...3-18-23

Tyler,

Congrats to Aubri...Chase is a great mentor and turkey hunter..... :clap:
Steve,
I’d like to , from the depths of my heart, thank you and all the NWTF for all you do for the kids. Chase is AMAZING and he hunted hard for both kids. Can you post the video I sent you. Can’t figure it out.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Steve,
I’d like to , from the depths of my heart, thank you and all the NWTF for all you do for the kids. Chase is AMAZING and he hunted hard for both kids. Can you post the video I sent you. Can’t figure it out.

Tyler,

Thank you...It is always my pleasure...The San Diego chapter of NWTF is absolutely the best........ :heart:

ps...The only way to post a video is to download on to YouTube...I'll see what I can do...:blush:

So Sunday's hunt was one for the lion's.......
We are set up under a good oak on the down slope of a big meadow, decoy out youth covered and sleeping waiting for grey light.

Trying to catch some shut-eye before they fly down. After several attempts and it doesn't work, I sit up and suck it up!

Dad is excited and soon we all start to realize WTFU it's turkey hunting!

So at grey light we hear some gobbles in three to four different spots, so much better than the day before! But no hens......no matter we are in a good spot with 3 areas in our spot. One way up hill and very steep...... basically out of our wheel house.

Once sunrise hit, it went quite, maybe they didn't fly down yet? Who knows.....soon after the lead cow starts to walk up to our set up.......yeah!

We toss a call or two and the cattle ignore us but they bulldog our hen decoy........yes it's a dss duh!

Now we have heard the herd back in a meadow coming to us but it's 20ish cattle.......
Then the lead cow and her sister go down the ravine up around the hill and they stop. They start to verbally call out and a call that's distress they get the hell out of there.

The two run back belly aching the whole way half the herd comes in.
So now we're at like at 50.....50? this is not good.......cows and a few calf's, then shortly the herd all follow the lead cows and bulldogs the Lion to move on.

When we walked out in that direction we saw two Fresh turkey kills lots of lion scat and trees that were perfect perches in the trees.

Turkey hunting is tuff dude.. question..does the general public get to hammer that place after the kids? Or is it junior only? Like..can the old folks go slam it ?

So in hindsite the way we walked in at 4:30am through the bottom, that lion which is most likely the alpha male with the best hunting grounds around saw us and we had no clue........the Mt. Lion is one of my most respected animals on earth!

Frightening for sure .poor hound got doubled lunged after the ground bay and the jaw thrust. . the horror..not the cats blood...man..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320-194631.png
    Screenshot_20230320-194631.png
    560.1 KB · Views: 8
We had turkey's talking all around us and got close a few times and the hunt was great.....we saw two birds get it on Sunday. One the female Jr learned to stomp the turkey and don't grab the feet......I had a flashback to Hatches #1 tackling a turkey or three through the years with scars to prove it!

But I have to say lions are always the top of the list around me...... remember we are not always top of the food chain......which makes it an exciting challenge if your a hunter to understand the nature of the hunter.......if you know what I mean

Reactions: sportyg
Nice dude ..Way to get those kids involved!!! Strong work!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu