Oak Groves

It looks like he is jumping over that fallen tree?

There's a path, so he doesn't need to jump but I have him going the other way about 5 mins earlier, and it looks like something caused him to come back the other way.

Reactions: TRICER
legal buck in daylight! that is all you can ask for....

try to point your cam down trail not 90deg to them. a running deer can move out of frame before the cam can trigger

Reactions: Zachappa and TRICER
Larry once saw 9 in a cat pack..9!! The horror..

Reactions: TRICER
No gobblers, also noticed the little creek that was there a month ago, is all dried up now. Maybe they went closer to water.

Long overdue update but here it is.

Went up to my spot on opener and saw a pair of does bumped by another group of hunters. They were too far to get a shot off. In general the spot didn't have a lot of fresh sign and with the heat, I decided to hunt a different spot with a spring and that's when it came together, except for a small detail.

This spot is more of an ambush spot, and it happens. I hear a rustle (different then the squirrels) and there it is.

A perfect 20 yard broadside shot walking from the valley to the spring.

it passes a tree, I draw back and it looks at me.

Shit! a spike.
InkedIMG_3822_LI.jpg

He hung out with me for about 15 mins, just taunting me, eating, lifting his head, pissing me off.

Outside i'm a duck on a pond, cool/calm collected on the surface, (not trying to startle him) but below the surface i'm a flurry of activity. Trying to remember the exact rules around spikes.

it's the perfect scenario that I always wanted, he came out where I wanted him to come out and he paused in the right shooting lane, just the wrong headgear.

After the vortex of emotions and what if scenarios I felt that it was too close for comfort, so I mustered up all of my mental telepathic powers and told him to come back next year!

The season is young, tempered by the closeness of realization and i'm burning to get out there again.

Long overdue update but here it is.

Went up to my spot on opener and saw a pair of does bumped by another group of hunters. They were too far to get a shot off. In general the spot didn't have a lot of fresh sign and with the heat, I decided to hunt a different spot with a spring and that's when it came together, except for a small detail.

This spot is more of an ambush spot, and it happens. I hear a rustle (different then the squirrels) and there it is.

A perfect 20 yard broadside shot walking from the valley to the spring.

it passes a tree, I draw back and it looks at me.

Shit! a spike.
View attachment 45995

He hung out with me for about 15 mins, just taunting me, eating, lifting his head, pissing me off.

Outside i'm a duck on a pond, cool/calm collected on the surface, (not trying to startle him) but below the surface i'm a flurry of activity. Trying to remember the exact rules around spikes.

it's the perfect scenario that I always wanted, he came out where I wanted him to come out and he paused in the right shooting lane, just the wrong headgear.

After the vortex of emotions and what if scenarios I felt that it was too close for comfort, so I mustered up all of my mental telepathic powers and told him to come back next year!

The season is young, tempered by the closeness of realization and i'm burning to get out there again.

Story of my life!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Now there's a good story. After reading it I decided to look up "once a spike always a spike" and had no idea I was about to land on a hot internet topic!

you learn something new every day.

"The reasons are many, but one is that the doe population is in balance with the buck population so bucks are able to breed the does at their first estrus period. The result is few late-born fawns. "

Suggests that our doe buck ratios are off, resulting in late born fawns. Makes sense why the A22 tag has either sex.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu