Quail opener this weekend!

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
Hey everyone,
So quail season starts up this weekend. Anybody planning to go out? I am available Sunday so I was either going to drive the three hours to imperial valley, or maybe go out past palm springs to look for some. I just finished all my AZ quail and am already craving some more!

Yup I'll be out Saturday up the 395 hunting up for quail and chuckar. I wait for this all year. I think my dog knows it's time. Took him out to the pheasant club last weekend for some brush up. We are all excited. I did see a lot in the IV not too long ago.

chuckar too? sounds great. Havent ever scouted or looked into that area up the 395. I guess Im gonna have to open the book up some more and do some exploring. Wish I could go out saturday but going to an event for the certification of a veteran's service dog, which is equally as awesome. Let us know how it goes up there. look like I will be taking the long journey

GSPman said:
Yup I'll be out Saturday up the 395 hunting up for quail and chuckar. I wait for this all year. I think my dog knows it's time. Took him out to the pheasant club last weekend for some brush up. We are all excited. I did see a lot in the IV not too long ago.

I'll be west of Inyokern off 395 Mon-Wed next week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your coming out Palm Springs way bring lots of water it is still very hot out this way..

yumm, quail is my fav to eat. I will be out chasing some for sure.

Mother in Law in the hospital, and my new home is closing at the end of the month, my start of the year may be shot.
have to start moving all my junk soon. the Pheasant opener may be in jeopardy

Ghost

Saw plenty of quail and chukar out at the Mojave NP, during the youth quail hunt. Problem was the coveys were small and runners, failed to flush even with dogs. I think all the intermittent rains in Aug/Sept/Oct everything is broken up, heck it might rain Thurs/Fri.

I did go local scouting in behind Coto de Caza and Robinsons Ranch in CNF and saw a few coveys, am pretty sure owners of million dollar homes will call in when lead starts flying, did I mention the Audubon sanctuary just south of scouting grounds. I would love to hunt San Mateo, seen a few quail in there but cant take a dog.

Should be an interesting season, but have to get the boy some quail his first year.

I will be up in ANF Saturday. Scouted a few times and saw quail each time, they are just hard to get to in the rugged areas.

Cant wait to get the pup out. I am camping with the kids all weekend so I wont get out until next weekend. love that feeling of busting covey's. What round do you guys shoot? I love fiochi 7.5 high brass it really reaches out and touches them. I use to use #6 high brass but have been switched over to the fiochi 7.5 for a few years now.

Going to SBNF for my son's friend's birthday for the weekend. Going to be sneaking off for an hour or two at first light to see if I can get a few Mountain Quail. They are all non-hunters but have enjoyed the dove I've cooked so it'd be cool to come back and cook some white meat birds over the fire!

Glad to see so many people ready to get out there. I use a 20 gauge o/u with #6 shot. I've used 7 before but it wasn't knocking the majority of them dead out of the air. I have had much better kill % with 6 shot.

I use these in 7.5......if they hold tight and flush close I have to wait before I can shoot or there's nothing but a puff of feathers

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/federal-wing-shok-12-gauge-2-3-4-pf154.html

My local quail vary in behavior but normally only get a shot off at 40 yards by the time you get to the other side of the massive bushes they hide in. I go #6's full dram full choke. I'll switch off to 7.5 game loads on full choke if they're flushing and presenting (sometimes get a double). Good luck to everyone going out and remember not to over persue or over shoot the coveys. Leave some so they can recover and maintain their turf. IMHO.

I agree with Mark.....The denser pattern with 7.5's is what you want for a smaller target.....If I'm in country where there's both chukar & quail. I carry both low base 7.5's & high base 6's.....Chukar are much bigger and tougher. Most shots are farther as well.

Always a modified choke......2 cents

I was planning on going up above Ojai a bit on Saturday with my pup but now the darn 33 is closed and doesn't seem like it will be open in time. This is going to be my dogs first hunt so I'm pretty excited to see how he does. anyone have any advise as to where else to go thats relatively close to Ventura? Did all my scouting up in some spots that are now inaccessible.

How did everyone do? I went out early with the pup. Drove up the 33 a ways and only came across one covey but couldn't get any shots off. Heard a ton more but couldn't flush them. Going back out tomorrow to see what we can get.

Not enough quail round here to hunt em.. I heard some chukar this morning while I was deer hunting though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu