Quail opener this weekend!

I'm gonna try my luck a bit north of apple valley. It's within 2 hours of me, and figured i bring out the e-caller too for some yotes incase I can't hit any coveys

hunted this morning just below barstow area... called for quail before sunrise and drove around slowly. Took a couple 3-4 mile walks calling every once in a while, but didn't see a single living thing except a few sparrows and ravens.. Trailed ended up getting pretty rough, 2wd grand cherokee held up though and got out safely. Ended up going across the highway and sighted in the .270 for d16 general season opener next weekend.

Rough morning, the area had quite a bit of green grass from the rain so I was pretty hopeful... Might just have to make the long drive to IV if I really want to get into some coveys. Any tips is much appreciated! I am very spoiled quail hunting in AZ so California has been a great challenge

kylemg0009 said:
hunted this morning just below barstow area... called for quail before sunrise and drove around slowly. Took a couple 3-4 mile walks calling every once in a while, but didn't see a single living thing except a few sparrows and ravens.. Trailed ended up getting pretty rough, 2wd grand cherokee held up though and got out safely. Ended up going across the highway and sighted in the .270 for d15 general season opener next weekend.

Rough morning, the area had quite a bit of green grass from the rain so I was pretty hopeful... Might just have to make the long drive to IV if I really want to get into some coveys. Any tips is much appreciated! I am very spoiled quail hunting in AZ so California has been a great challenge
D15 opened last weekend. FYI.

turkeyman 85 said:
kylemg0009 said:
hunted this morning just below barstow area... called for quail before sunrise and drove around slowly. Took a couple 3-4 mile walks calling every once in a while, but didn't see a single living thing except a few sparrows and ravens.. Trailed ended up getting pretty rough, 2wd grand cherokee held up though and got out safely. Ended up going across the highway and sighted in the .270 for d15 general season opener next weekend.

D15 opened last weekend. FYI.

typo, meant to say D16! :-[

I didn't see any mountain quail where we went in SBNF but I did see / hear some valleys. Good size but weren't coveyed up. Going for duck opener and, depending on how early that finishes, will stop for quail on the way home.

Went out again yesterday with a few buddies and it was a completely different story. Within 45 seconds of getting near our hunting spot we came across a large covey. None of us could hit the broad side of a barn for the first hour and only got one from that covey. Went to our second spot and came across 2 more large coveys and got 8 between the 4 of us, all within the last hour due to how rusty we were lol. Missing one in the photo by accident lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
Also make sure you have your plugs in your guns and licenses on you. We got stopped by a game warden and got a thorough check of everything. He was real nice, just doing his job. My buddy left his license in the truck (40ft away) and he was nice enough to let him get it and not write him up. Just something to keep in mind.

those are some fat and healthy looking males! good job out there. I'll probably go out for deer this weekend but the next one ill go for some quail. up the 15 was empty, couldn't find a darn living thing

Firewalker1 said:
Went out again yesterday with a few buddies and it was a completely different story. Within 45 seconds of getting near our hunting spot we came across a large covey. None of us could hit the broad side of a barn for the first hour and only got one from that covey. Went to our second spot and came across 2 more large coveys and got 8 between the 4 of us, all within the last hour due to how rusty we were lol. Missing one in the photo by accident lol

Nice pull. Weird timing on those guys. Someone is eating some good bird!

Nice birds I went out to the Meccas yesterday hiked all the way to the base of the oroocoiia mts not a quail to be found in the area.

Went out again today and brought the pup. He did incredible for his first hunt!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
I'd say you did OK.......Great going........ ;)

Your dog looks like a black & tan hound with smaller ears........ 8)

ilovesprig said:
I'd say you did OK.......Great going........ ;)

Your dog looks like a black & tan hound with smaller ears........ 8)

Thanks! Haha he actually is! Half Black and Tan, half black lab. Pretty unique, got him at 8 weeks from a shelter. We also have a full blood coonhound (Walker/bluetick) but he's not into the birds, just rabbits and coons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
spent whole day in Angeles NF, didn't see any thing :(
any tips on quail and chukar?

I went out to check on quail this past weekend and all I found was solar panels in one of my spots :'(. Then I checked my 2nd spot and before I parked I saw 2 bobcats so that says it all, not 1 quail found there, but I know where to go call for bobcat. This coming weekend is my bi-week (archery to rifle break) for deer so I will go out again and see if I can find me some quail.

Almasy said:
spent whole day in Angeles NF, didn't see any thing :(
any tips on quail and chukar?

The Angeles is a rough place for quail. It does gold some. Get to the edge of the flats. Also get som maps and head to new places.

Everyone I've been talking to has been getting skunked with quail this season. Takes a lot of walking but they are out there, also wait until 9 or so to go chase them. If you show up too early they don't come out of their hiding spots, wait to long and they are back in them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu