Rattlesnake avoidance training

Took my lab up to @Snake Charmer at High On Kennels yesterday for her second time of danger noodle avoidance training. He is so good at what he does if you are going to have your dog out anywhere there are snakes I highly recommend him.

How did she do?

Thanks for the positive comments, truly appreciated. I would like to add that from my experience that training a pup once is not enough. When someone give's me their family member to train I tell them that we all learn by doing the behavior multiple times. I train dogs for a living and I can tell you for sure that all learn from repetition (over and over again is how it gets done) After all did you learn how to do something well that requires experience by doing it once ? . I always tell pet owners to train their dog at minimum once a year for a minimum of 3-4 years and every two or three years after that. Gun dog's can be different if they see the field a lot because they will self train as they encounter snakes beyond the initial training. To counter that I also train dogs for folks that only hunt once in awhile and don't come in contact with snakes very often and they need more frequent training encounters to keep them safe. I train a few dogs every weekend that folks have taken for granted that their dog is safe and have watched them walk up and put their nose on a snake that was not rattling because they did not remember the sight or scent. I will also tell you that if the dog does not recognze the presense of the snake all bets are off and that is why I will also tell you to get your dog vaccinated. Snake training is not snake proofing it is only one layer of protection and takes the curiosity out of seeing a snake for the dog and replaces it with fear. If the dog is focused on something else and not paying attention on what is right in front of them good luck with that. Call me if you have more questions.

Makes me miss Lloyd...gotta get a new one...moose is a failure...but mama sure loves him. Strong work all around.

Reactions: NBK
I got lucky with my rescue coon dog Parker. If he encounters a rattle snake
He will stay far a way. But has certain bark
We have learned to recognize.
All have been near our home. He has
3 rattle snakes he has found.
He stays on it until I come out to dispatch it. But won't get near it. He keeps his distance. Well done Parker :blush:

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu