Rucking tips?

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
I've been getting into rucking as a way to get in shape for future backpack hunts, any wise words of advice on getting started? Seems like there's lots of stories online of injuries/back pain if you push it too hard.

I've been starting light at a few miles on the treadmill with 25 lbs, hoping to get up to longer training hikes with 50+ lbs.

Definitely working your way up is important and while a treadmill is good, it is not great for preparing for hiking trails. Hiking trails have rocks, obstacles, and uneven terrain that will utilize different joints and muscles so plan on incorporating both while working your way up in weight. In addition, trails can have significant elevation game which is important.

25 lb is a good starting point, adding 5 to 10 lb each week. I am currently doing 12 miles a week on trail, going different distances. Some days its only 2 miles, others it is 6.

Reactions: Zak
I thought you left off a "T" and was going to say Hatchet was your man.... ;)

How long should you ruck for?

Regardless of which program you're training for, you should do at least one long-duration ruck (60+ minutes) per week. Before you ship for any selection, you should be doing 2+ hour rucks with at least 40 pounds each week. Rucking with heavy weights is hard on the body.....Dec 17, 2020

Sounds like work to me.....

The best advice your gonna get. Man up!

Seriously just go straight to 40lbs, that's the least that your pack is gonna weigh at a minimum on a backpack hunt. I would rather do a heavier pack on shorter duration than a light pack for miles. Also you have to do hills flat land does nothing for you.

The best advice your gonna get. Man up!

Seriously just go straight to 40lbs, that's the least that your pack is gonna weigh at a minimum on a backpack hunt. I would rather do a heavier pack on shorter duration than a light pack for miles. Also you have to do hills flat land does nothing for you.

This works as well!

Reactions: TRICER
I am convinced there is no amount of training that can prepare any body especially the average mans body for an 80-100lb pack out. It does indescribable things to your body. I work out hard and heavy 5 days a week and there is nothing that compares to a 100lbs of dead weight on your back in the mountains. It's 90% mental you just have to say well I did the deed now I have to make it to camp or the truck.

Not sure about your age and baseline physical fitness, but I've done the 50+ lb rucks, up to about 90 lb (pack only) while in the military and doing Whitney in the winter. Each person is different. But make sure you have a very good pack for the real thing and for training, carry extra weight (plate carrier vest, belt, etc.) to mimic the real thing, train with the boots you intend to wear, and if necessary, brace up (knees/ankles) if you're older like me. I usually carry some compression knee braces in my pack just in case. More you do it, easier it'll be. But there's no way to have your training be identical. All you can do is improve your fitness level and ability to absorb punishment. But there's a two word phrase that puts is very simply. don't quit

Practice like you play (down to the details) and find some motivation: Get a partner who is young and in shape and try to keep up.
Hiking poles are required.

Reactions: Lungpopper
I've rucked enough in my life...trust me. Don't make me post the lifetime award for rucking. Best advice is..when it's go time...go..if your not first your last...and if your not a winner..your a loser . Hatch tip ..your welcome.

I've rucked enough in my life...trust me. Don't make me post the lifetime award for rucking. Best advice is..when it's go time...go..if your not first your last...and if your not a winner..your a loser . Hatch tip ..your welcome.

@HATCHET1 the word started with an "R" not an "F".

Reactions: ke1234567
I believe every one is different , and the main issue don't get hurt or damaged, when your young you feel invincible. trust me you can do permanent damage. other than that every one else advice is good. in my day 12 miles was nothing , we did what ever it took, but my philosophy was different back then to travel far I traveled light. carried only what what necessary, but there was always two of us paired up. never single. for long distance hikes.

Definitely working your way up is important and while a treadmill is good, it is not great for preparing for hiking trails. Hiking trails have rocks, obstacles, and uneven terrain that will utilize different joints and muscles so plan on incorporating both while working your way up in weight. In addition, trails can have significant elevation game which is important.

25 lb is a good starting point, adding 5 to 10 lb each week. I am currently doing 12 miles a week on trail, going different distances. Some days its only 2 miles, others it is 6.
Good considerations, I am doing incline on the treadmill which I know isn't the same but I plan to get out there as soon as I can

Not sure about your age and baseline physical fitness, but I've done the 50+ lb rucks, up to about 90 lb (pack only) while in the military and doing Whitney in the winter. Each person is different. But make sure you have a very good pack for the real thing and for training, carry extra weight (plate carrier vest, belt, etc.) to mimic the real thing, train with the boots you intend to wear, and if necessary, brace up (knees/ankles) if you're older like me. I usually carry some compression knee braces in my pack just in case. More you do it, easier it'll be. But there's no way to have your training be identical. All you can do is improve your fitness level and ability to absorb punishment. But there's a two word phrase that puts is very simply. don't quit
I'm 31 but let my physical fitness decline due to work/grad school lol. It's mostly the military vets online that I've read complain about long-term back pain from rucking so I'm trying to do it the right way. As for a pack, I bought a designated rucking pack that can carry olympic plates. Seems pretty solid

Screenshot from 2021-09-21 15-35-00.png

Reactions: TRICER
as long as that plate is secured and doesn't move. Otherwise, take a sandbag. I would hate for that plate to hit you in the back or side. and make sure the pack sits high towards shoulders. old alice packs sucked, as the weight would always sag and sit low. even the second generation alice packs. got they sucked. you'd think the military would take some cues from the mountaineering community.

What’s your timeline? You say future backpack hunts but are you talking next year or this November. If you’re talking next season I’d take it slow. You have a year to get up to a good weight, mileage and elevation gain. If you’re talking two months, stick to the truck, lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu