Rucking tips?

Good considerations, I am doing incline on the treadmill which I know isn't the same but I plan to get out there as soon as I can

I'm 31 but let my physical fitness decline due to work/grad school lol. It's mostly the military vets online that I've read complain about long-term back pain from rucking so I'm trying to do it the right way. As for a pack, I bought a designated rucking pack that can carry olympic plates. Seems pretty solid

View attachment 51007
in that case I agree as well take your time

Keep the weight high in the pack. Pack the light stuff in the bottom. Make sure you have a waist belt on the ruck and use that to rest your shoulders.

Reactions: TRICER
Find a Forest Service station and ask if you can accompany them on a PT hike. Some serious light will be shed upon what physical fitness really means.

True story. Plus you forest boys are just mentally tough period.

What’s your timeline? You say future backpack hunts but are you talking next year or this November. If you’re talking next season I’d take it slow. You have a year to get up to a good weight, mileage and elevation gain. If you’re talking two months, stick to the truck, lol
I was planning long-term but I do have an AZ deer tag next month, I guess that will be a truck hunt lol

Zac just shoot something really far from the truck where you have no choice but to pack it out. You will make it trust me.

I'll make it I'm just trying to avoid injury. I want to backpack hunt into my 80s when I finally draw a sheep tag

Buddy calls me one day and
says “ What’s up the boy running away ?” What ?
Buddy: I just saw your son on the East side of Carbon Canyon headed East towards the 71fwy.
Me : Oh he’s rucking, six days a week prepping for selection,
65-70 lb pack with issue boots. Sometimes he goes to the 71 fwy. turns around and heads back to Southeast Whittier.

The boy had big ol nasty bleeding sores on his feet. He said that most failures in selection are due to blisters and soft feet.
Crazy !! Lol !!!

Buddy calls me one day and
says “ What’s up the boy running away ?” What ?
Buddy: I just saw your son on the East side of Carbon Canyon headed East towards the 71fwy.
Me : Oh he’s rucking, six days a week prepping for selection,
65-70 lb pack with issue boots. Sometimes he goes to the 71 fwy. turns around and heads back to Southeast Whittier.

The boy had big ol nasty bleeding sores on his feet. He said that most failures in selection are due to blisters and soft feet.
Crazy !! Lol !!!

Dang Kevin....When's he coming back...So he can carry decoys.... :joy:

.013.JPG

Too many times I carried those 747’s like that back in the day !!! We thought we smart when we started putting 3 dozen pipe wit a guy on each end. Worked so good we bought more !
Steve, the one thing I miss the most is hunting with the boy ! I’ve tried a couple times to set up some hunts; but Uncle Sam always got in the way !

Reactions: ilovesprig
Good considerations, I am doing incline on the treadmill which I know isn't the same but I plan to get out there as soon as I can

I'm 31 but let my physical fitness decline due to work/grad school lol. It's mostly the military vets online that I've read complain about long-term back pain from rucking so I'm trying to do it the right way.
Mostly because they are retards and think they are Rangers and you can just throw on 90lbs and go running.
Go get some skills.

Reactions: HATCHET1
Reading this hurts my back :) .
A few years ago when I took down a buck over in my D section and as I got close to see him, the first thing that came to mind was how in the heck am I getting him back to the truck? Glad a couple of good ole boys were 4x4'ing by and offered to help me get it to camp. Next weekend I went and bought a Honda Rancher quad ;).

Reactions: HATCHET1
Reading this hurts my back :) .
A few years ago when I took down a buck over in my D section and as I got close to see him, the first thing that came to mind was how in the heck am I getting him back to the truck? Glad a couple of good ole boys were 4x4'ing by and offered to help me get it to camp. Next weekend I went and bought a Honda Rancher quad ;).
THIS!!!

I've been getting into rucking as a way to get in shape for future backpack hunts, any wise words of advice on getting started? Seems like there's lots of stories online of injuries/back pain if you push it too hard.

I've been starting light at a few miles on the treadmill with 25 lbs, hoping to get up to longer training hikes with 50+ lbs.
You're doing the right thing. Progressive overload is THE FUNDAMENTAL BASIS of any good routine. Start wherever you are at and then add intensity. That can be with more weight, longer distances, higher frequency, faster pace, and so on. Track it and just keep building. If you fall behind or digress then incorporate a "deload" week where you lower the intensity and let your body recover. Then start back up at a level you know you can do OK and then add to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak
One more tip. Get good with google maps or whatever you use and plotting elevation gain and how steep terrain is. Learning routes can save you a TON of effort.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu