Ruddy Specific Shotgun Setup

On a morning at San Jacinto when nothing is flying, which would you prefer?

• Stare at the sky and go home empty handed

• Shoot Ruddies off the water with a scoped shotgun

Results are only viewable after voting.
They are judged by how long they can hold their breath.
I never would of thought of that, but it makes sense! I’ll start a journal this season so I can track the trophy quality from one blind to the next, year after year, so I can calculate which blind has the most potential.

Reactions: TRICER
The results of the poll have been quite disturbing. Here I was thinking that bringing home game for the table was one of the foremost joys of hunting, yet four of us would rather go home empty handed than bag the king of ducks. Many are fearful of bagging their first Ruddy because they know it is the greatest accomplishment in waterfowling, and from then on all other accomplishments will pale in comparision.

Reactions: msailor
Ok, I wasn’t sure if I should post this but here it goes. This is a Giant Ruddy I bagged on the youth hunt two years ago. This guy had just pulled a coyote underwater and drowned it. The Ruddy was dragging the body of the unlucky coyote towards the reeds to devour it when I decided to pull the trigger. Please keep a close eye on your dogs when you’re wading out to the blind, as I doubt she was the only one out there.7683251A-7C96-47BC-9743-BB3B847344A0.jpeg

View attachment 44070

On a serious note watch out for this guy. He would take your dog under. Also might want to think twice about crapping in the reeds. According to Tom , this turtle eats five Giant ruddys a day. Picture was taken last Monday
Don't think these are supposed to live around here? I trapped them and sold them to a chinese restaurant when I was in elementary school in Wisconsin.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu