Second dove season

Dove numbers up in the Mesa Grande, Santa Ysabel, lake Henshaw area are big during early December. I see flocks on my ranch day to day that number in the dozens every morning and afternoon. They disappear in January when the cold and wet weather sets in. No public land up here so not many get hunted.

yup, hunt across the river in Az, might give Cibola a try. some friends went down today to do some duck hunting, damn duckers. they said they would call and let me know about dove and quail.
From my experience over the years waterfowl hunting on the river is all about the migration, they are there for a few days and then they are gone. The locals in Cibola know all about the quail and do drive by's on them in the early part of the opener and after that its crap shoot to find them if at all. Also you gotta have good preseason nesting conditions for the quail to be there in any numbers. Dove, well that's all about weather . The river is not a cake walk as is the rest of southern California. Been there , done that..

I gotta BIG dove Boner come Saturday.....I'm in CA till Sunday....standby for a tail gate money shot of a dove.....I brought my steel shot 16ers....it's comin..

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
I have been hunting the area over there for 35 years now, give or take. I could care less about ducks and I know all about quail the quail over there. The areas I have hunted on Cibola for the most part, the brush is to thick to have much of a chance , The damn quail know just how to use it. I hunt there mainly for dove. Other areas off Cibola have always been productive as long as you can stay on the birds and keep them moving, then they start to break up, that's when the dogs really get to start working . I have had some great late season dove hunts, especially on the CRIT.

Reactions: ilovesprig
First off, i hope yall have a great turkey day! Now, I will be doing my first second season dove down Niland way. I am curious how crowded it might be. thank you for the info.

First off, i hope yall have a great turkey day! Now, I will be doing my first second season dove down Niland way. I am curious how crowded it might be. thank you for the info.
Did you make it out there? If so how was it?

Bud, I did make it down. What I experienced were a lot of birds, unfortunately they were not flying for me. They were all in low shrubs or the ground and as I approache they squirted another 50 yards away. Hunted from first light till 1, maybe having two hunters moving birds toward your partner might be one way. That being said, another great sunrise and beautiful scenery.

Bud, I did make it down. What I experienced were a lot of birds, unfortunately they were not flying for me. They were all in low shrubs or the ground and as I approache they squirted another 50 yards away. Hunted from first light till 1, maybe having two hunters moving birds toward your partner might be one way. That being said, another great sunrise and beautiful scenery.
Nice was thinking of heading out there this weekend.

Dem birds are well trained on how not to get shot.

I just saw the flier and will certainly be there, put a good word in for me:grinning:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu