Shot a few

Lol I
Shot a grand slam and didn't know. I want to mount altogether dead maybe

I ya good job mjb my record is still in the 50s for euros normal doves quite a bit higher

very nice shooting :eek:

i hope i get close to that. ill be out next weekend with 3 other hunters. my wife and I are are pretty experienced and she makes great work of them with her 20G simi-auto but the other 2... one (35yr old step son) his second hunt and one (my step nephew in his 20s) his first. Plus my 8.5 month old GSP ive been working and training pretty hard with. 2 days in paradise

We Will see?? :-\

yea i have been working with them at the trap and at the bird stands at the sporting clays coarse. Ive also been schooling them on what a euro looks like

I could not believe how good they were flying in groups of 10-20 birds for over 3 hours....one other hunter nearby but not wide open for him.
At one point the farmer drove over the seed in the barn and then it was on for a 10 minute 2 box run I couldn't load fast enough. The dogs running around not knowing which bird to fetch was crazy......next time video

Good luck guys no rain out there yet get on them before it gets muggy!

MJB said:
I could not believe how good they were flying in groups of 10-20 birds for over 3 hours....one other hunter nearby but not wide open for him.
At one point the farmer drove over the seed in the barn and then it was on for a 10 minute 2 box run I couldn't load fast enough. The dogs running around not knowing which bird to fetch was crazy......next time video

Good luck guys no rain out there yet get on them before it gets muggy!
Oh yeah, that would be a great video. Would be fun to see the dogs running all over the place. Must have sounded like a pitched battle too. 8)

Sent via Tapatalk

MJB was that any place in particular that would help a guy out on a near future trip?

as i read this thread my pup is at the back door whimpering. I think he k ows im excited. only 5 more days for my trip to get my euro on.

keep the reports coming.

It's way south of where you were going. That cattle pen I told you about will have plenty of birds just box the area and you'll find a good spot and don't be afraid to move around.

I'm finding the euros don't fly in the am until after the sun comes up and they start flying around 4pm but quite well before sun down.

Identifying the birds can be a challenge. Have the sun to your back so you can see the color, size does not always mean euro. WW beyond having white on their wings they are smoke color on the breast/belly. The morning have an iridescent color on the breast/belly and dark wings. I'm not good enough to spot them by tail length I have to use color. It's easy when they all fly together to spot what's what:)

Don't let the dog retrieve too many in a row. They can't cool off with a bird in their mouth. Bring lots of shade for them and an ice bath can be a good idea or turn on the a/c and let them pant with a vent facing their mouth. That cools them off quickly I also let them swim in the small cement canals with slow moving water they may stink a little but they love it and cool off rather quick. You can also give them Gatorade if they over do it. It works on them just like us and they come around in minutes and are ready to go again.

Yea those canals... I took my dog in May he jumped in and could not get out to too steep and too slimy I watched him happily swim down the canal so I had to jump in fully clothed boots and all. I pushed the dog out just fine but since my wife was the only one with me and she is pretty small I had a heck of a time getting out.

That's an advantage I have with a small dog....I always look for a way out for the dog before I let them in. Look for field vents or seams in the concrete that helps. One guy I know has a lab and he uses a board with treads so the dog can get out works pretty good if your near the truck. I think a piece of carpet would work even better as long as it won't float.

The canals can be very dangerous for dogs.........Down near the Mexican border, a guy next to me had his big chocolate jump in one of the bigger cement canals (I had just pulled out my yellow pup). Before I could reach him, he went under the culvert.......Just assumed he was gone and drowned. I was actually starting to console the guy. When all of a sudden, some fisherman at least 50 yds away started yelling. His dog had popped up across the Westside main and on another canal......Needless to say, the guy was overjoyed.

Attachments

• pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 025.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 025.JPG
    755.9 KB · Views: 17
Great discussion. I tried my luck with dove hunting but no way as good as you guys. hahahaha you guys are for sure the master dove hunters. great pics to.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu