Shotgun advice

dirtriddr

Mar 27, 2018
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
After the first time I can tell I am addicted, Dove is like the gateway to wanting to hunt everything else (and in the junkie kind of way, seriously hunting it all I think about now). I am considering picking up a new shotgun before the cooler months arrive for dove, quail, and pheasant. The first shotgun I got was a Mossberg 500 20 gauge, then I purchased a Benelli Nova 12 gauge that I just used for dove, and hopefully one day Turkey. I am really wanting to get another shotgun soon and am having trouble deciding if I should get a semi auto or an over & under for upland birds. Then there is the question of do I go with a 12 or a 20 gauge. I know eventually I will have all 3 types for different occasions, plus more expensive ones. I am just curious on what everyone's thoughts are the pro's and cons of semi auto vs over & under and 12 or 20 gauge?

Thanks
Jason

NO over/under you only get 2 shots, sometimes it takes the 3rd shot. IMO

Reactions: dirtriddr
I would go with a 12 gauge because it has more pellets and farther range. One advantage you have with an over under is that you can put a different choke on each barrel, one for close and one for far shots. Although you could have two different chokes with an over under, you would be sacrificing the third shot you’d get with a semi auto. If I had to pick between the two I would pick a semi auto.

Fun per Dollar? Get you a .17 HMR for sniping ground squirrels (and rabbits if your county allows it as method of take, OC does, LA only allows shotgun for rabbits). Super fun and ridiculously accurate!

Get an idea for what kinds of terrain types you will be hunting in if you are contemplating looking for Big Game, as that *may* influence your decision in terms of which rifle attributes you end up choosing. (Thicker terrain vs More Open, longer distances). Quick-Handling "Brush Gun" vs. Longer Bolt-Action rifle. That sorta thing. And it's really only an issue if where you're hunting is super tight and thick.

Fun per Dollar? Get you a .17 HMR for sniping ground squirrels (and rabbits if your county allows it as method of take, OC does, LA only allows shotgun for rabbits). Super fun and ridiculously accurate!

Get an idea for what kinds of terrain types you will be hunting in if you are contemplating looking for Big Game, as that *may* influence your decision in terms of which rifle attributes you end up choosing. (Thicker terrain vs More Open, longer distances). Quick-Handling "Brush Gun" vs. Longer Bolt-Action rifle. That sorta thing. And it's really only an issue if where you're hunting is super tight and thick.
How do we go from asking about a shotgun , to advice on a 17 HMR ?

I would go with a 12 gauge because it has more pellets and farther range. One advantage you have with an over under is that you can put a different choke on each barrel, one for close and one for far shots. Although you could have two different chokes with an over under, you would be sacrificing the third shot you’d get with a semi auto. If I had to pick between the two I would pick a semi auto.

Thank you, you made a valid point

I love the .17 HMR they are alot of fun. Also like my .223's , .308's, 7mm rem mag and .300 win mag for the longer range stuff. Right now getting my feet wet on the birds before moving onto the bigger stuff.

Reactions: TheGDog
How do we go from asking about a shotgun , to advice on a 17 HMR ?

Ok... either you have "selective reading" or... maybe you're Alzheimer's is kickin'-in and you got this confused with EFF with Larry day?

ivhunter clearly wrote
"Do own a rifle yet, if not I would get that next. "

And clearly...top-down in the line of time it can be seen that my response was in reply to that.

Last edited:
Jason go with a nice semi auto, you will shoot it for many years, if you don't have it save the money for it.
Maybe its my Alzheimers kickin'in or maybe I just forgot to say it.

Jason go with a nice semi auto, you will shoot it for many years, if you don't have it save the money for it.
Maybe its my Alzheimers kickin'in or maybe I just forgot to say it.
In your experience which brand of semi autos is the least prone to mechanical issues?

I have a Remington 1100 20 gauge and love it, really had no issues. For Christmas the wife and kids just got me the Benelli SBE 111 and I love it . One is a little cheaper then the other.
Both will get the job done. IMO
IT IS WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD.

if you just want a upland gun i vote for
or

, they both can do double duty as a duck gun

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu