Shotgun advice

If you need a third shot it's to late.
I have completely different experiences. Shot 2 triples on euros yesterday, also doubled on whitewing with a miss on the second shot. Shot a couple mourning doves on the 3rd shot after whiffing on the dip and the dive first. I find myself wishing I had 4 or 5 shots quite often dove and duck hunting.

so if the 3rd is useless then you are saying the 4th and 5th are way way way useless?

disclaimer..... its not legal in the USA to shoot a unplugged shotgun at most game birds most of the time. Some places not in the usa its ok to shoot unplugged. No plaster city is not in the usa its owned by Guatemala and its like a Indian reservation

Reactions: dirtriddr
I’ll be the odd man out here... I prefer an O/U over a semi auto. They flow smoother to me, and maybe it’s because I was only allowed to hunt with a single shot until I was old enough to buy my own guns. Odd man out again... I prefer my pump over a semi auto as well. I find it easier for me to get those follow up shots or multiple birds.

Again, just my preference.

Reactions: dirtriddr
What about a bolt action shotgun?
:laughing:
I actually shot a dove on opener with a 20 gauge bolt action. @DanSanDiego can confirm.

If you think you're gonna get full-on into hunting a variety of game, get the best 12 gauge semi-auto you can afford. When I first started out I shot a Rem 870, which was OK, but quickly I started wanting an auto as I got more into waterfowl and upland. What's your price range? If money's no object I'd vote for a Benelli SBE3.. love mine. I also loved my Franchi Affinity, which is over half the price ($800).. a great deal in a well-made Italian auto. Figure this.. I'd say 90% of my hunting is done with a shotgun (dove, ducks, quail, bandtails, turkey, sometimes rabbit) so I wanted to invest in a nice one.

I’ll be the odd man out here... I prefer an O/U over a semi auto. They flow smoother to me, and maybe it’s because I was only allowed to hunt with a single shot until I was old enough to buy my own guns. Odd man out again... I prefer my pump over a semi auto as well. I find it easier for me to get those follow up shots or multiple birds.

Again, just my preference.

I do love my Benelli Nova. I know it’s not an expensive shotgun but I do love it. When it comes to the over & under I absolutely love the silver pigeon and will have one some day. Over & unders have always caught my eye. I also love the super black eagle III. And eventually will have that one as well. I am just a fan of firearms and have a decent collection already that I’m just continuing to add to it. For now I just want to have another option when I go as far as choosing from a pump to a semi. I’m sure by the 2020/2021 season I will have 3 options and several of each.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I have shot every type and gauge of shot gun. The very few times I have hunted ducks over water I did use both pump and auto loaders and, in those cases the extra rounds did come in handy. I will add I was shooting when five rounds was still legal and we did load five rounds. But since I now only hunt upland birds and Dove, I find I no longer need the extra rounds. First off, finding a downed bird in the desert even with a dog is at times hard enough leave alone two and sometimes three. Just spotting where the birds, two or three went down is a challenge. I want to retrieve my downed birds and get back to hunting rather than looking for downed birds. The big advantage as I see it for pumps and autos is the ability to quickly pop in another round or two without breaking the gun. These are just my opinions, and you can disagree all you want but for me, two rounds is all I need. In my many years of hunting, 55+ I have shot many doubles and very few if any triples, so once again, I have no need for the extra round. I do own all three types of shot guns.

IMO any true shotgun aficionado should own an O/U...how could you not? Weather is your next one or the one after that.
12 vs 20 is a never ending debate...but I can tell you from experience that when you take a bird with a 20 that the 12ga boys miss at...that really puts a statement. You need to be a better shot with a 20, and that in the eyes of any hunter is respectable. Now days 20ga shotguns can shoot 3" shells if you need max punch on a larger bird and the variety of chokes from a reputable maker make a great difference.

A 12 OU will move you unlike a 20 because they don't have gas driven or inertia driven that I know off. That's important to remember..you might enjoy a lighter shooting OU.

Semis are great, the previous comments are true..there are times that you will benefit from a 3rd shot...but a true shotgunner will not give a rats ass about a 3rd shot...you either get it in 2 shots or that bird was not for you period...after all who really cares that much missing a dove...
I own a semi on 20 and is the only one I bought so far although I inherited a 16 ga Pump that has a fixed full choke not suitable for steel....but I want to own many. At first I felt I was underguned...until I activated my ball sack and stayed with it and now I can compete with the 12ga boys with in my skill level of course.

Get the one you like the best from feel to looks...they all kill, they all are fun.. And you will make it work for you...but if you are results driven get a semi on 12. If you don't care about missing while you learn an OU..of your choice.
Good luck.

Last edited:
The bolt action shotgun (with a clip magazine for 3 total shells) was cool. Maybe a little slower than a pump but still very useable.

I just remembered, I even own a single shot.

That’s cool. One of my funnest shotguns was a single shot 12 gauge when I was In high school. Shot a lot of clays in the hills with it. I just remembered I also have a single shot Topper 158 w/ the 20 gauge and 30-30 barrels and a Pardner 20 gauge that I picked up

only real men shoot
you heathens need to get some class

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
ok ok ok.... i shoot upland with a duck gun and my lab picks them up for me. i scoff at guys that shoot anything besides 12ga #5 nickel plated at pheasants and if god did not want me to shoot 5 times at every flight of dove he would not have made boxes of ammo in multiples of 5.... think abou that one for a min would ya
20141017_100850.jpg

ok ok ok.... i shoot upland with a duck gun and my lab picks them up for me. i scoff at guys that shoot anything besides 12ga #5 nickel plated at pheasants and if god did not want me to shoot 5 times at every flight of dove he would not have made boxes of ammo in multiples of 5.... think abou that one for a min would ya
View attachment 40835

The rattler's a nice touch...….:joy:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu