Shotgun advice

Read an article a long time ago and maybe this will help. It was published by the university of Wisconsin by two folks with doctorates. its called the five stages of a hunter and goes as follows verbatim-

Stage one, Hunters at this stage want to do a lot of shooting be it doves, ducks. squirells rabbits or even deer ( in which case shooting opportunities are acceptable too) they want to test their shooting abilities, as well as their rifle or shotgun. These hunters are beginners and are often young as well.

Stage two, Limiting out stage. eventually simply burning through a lot of ammunition is no longer sufficient. Hunters at this stage still gain a lot of satisfaction from shooting, but now the number of birds or animals becomes important too, and limiting out, or filling a game tag, is the gold standard.

Stage three, Trophy stage, eventually the weight of the game bag becomes less important and the emphasis shifts from quantity to quality. Hunters at this stage gain satisfaction from being selecitive in taking game, such as a duck hunter that only shoots greenheads, a turkey hunter that only shoots long beards, or a deer who only takes only mature bucks. These hunters often travel long distances to hunt trophy animals.

Stage four, Method stage, For this hunter, taking game is still important, but more important is how the game is taken. True satisfaction comes from the method used to take the game, with particular emphasis on more challenging methods such as archery or muzzleloading. This hunter will spend a lot of time using trail cameras, studying their quarry and practicing hunting skills such as calling and, in the case of a deer hunter, may even choose to target one specfic animal.

Stage five, Sportsman stage, After many years in the field, the hunter begins to place the emphasis on the total hunting experience . Being in the outdoors, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying the company of friends and family and seeing nature in all its beauty, now outweigh the need for taking game. These hunters often turn to mentoring other younger hunters for ultimate satisfaction.

The researchers and writers of this paper also state that not all hunters go through all these stages or in this particular order, personally for me I'm still mixed up in the last three depending on what species I am thinking about and which has dictated my choice of shotguns, rifles, gear and things I like to hunt. For me the last ten years have been a big mix of doing hunts with the people I care about and looking for a special animal to take. I take as much joy if not more on going on hunts where I have no stake in the outcome other than giving maximum help and just wanting to be there and enjoy the moment. In some ways it is more relaxing to me because I have put no presure on myself to have to fill my tag and at the same time do the best I can to help my partner acheive their goal no matter the task asked of me.

Pick the gun and method that makes you happy. That's my two cents...

I have a Remington 1100 20 gauge and love it, really had no issues. For Christmas the wife and kids just got me the Benelli SBE 111 and I love it . One is a little cheaper then the other.
Both will get the job done. IMO
IT IS WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD.
Hmm I've been having consistent problems with my 1100 20 gauge. What ammo are you using in it now?

ok ok ok.... i shoot upland with a duck gun and my lab picks them up for me. i scoff at guys that shoot anything besides 12ga #5 nickel plated at pheasants and if god did not want me to shoot 5 times at every flight of dove he would not have made boxes of ammo in multiples of 5.... think abou that one for a min would ya
View attachment 40835
Combo platter

Reactions: ilovesprig
Hmm I've been having consistent problems with my 1100 20 gauge. What ammo are you using in it now?

Check your O-rings...Really important on 1100's...Clean gas ports too.

One of the reasons I like Inertia driven guns... ;)

ps...I'm in Stage 5...Kinda...lol

Last edited:
I have that gun in .410 and it was very fun to use. It was extremely satisfying to get a double with that gun and something enjoyable about working the bolt fast. Unfortunately it's a full choke so I won't be putting steel though it.

I owned a 1100 in the late 70's. It's in a river somewhere in Mex . Hated that gun.

• Wow
Reactions: Smokey58
im gonna throw some bird chatter out there..i know..disturbing, but here ya go..by a Remington 870 express...I don't bird much anymore..but when I do bird..its the 870 that gets the call...its a pump gun. so you actually have to work abit harder..but that dove is not gonna really no the difference..

Reactions: ilovesprig
im gonna throw some bird chatter out there..i know..disturbing, but here ya go..by a Remington 870 express...I don't bird much anymore..but when I do bird..its the 870 that gets the call...its a pump gun. so you actually have to work abit harder..but that dove is not gonna really no the difference..
Without a doubt, IMO the most popular if mot the best pump out there. I have two. The Timex of shotguns. Many a game bird have meant they're demise with those weapons.

Without a doubt, IMO the most popular if not the best pump out there. I have two. The Timex of shotguns. Many a game bird have meant they're demise with those weapons.

Totally agree...But I agree with the original Wingmaster's...And John, we could shoot lead in those days... ;)

Reactions: HATCHET1

ps...I'm in Stage 5...Kinda...lol
I got new rings and the rubber o-ring. Shoots like a champ, big difference

I got new rings and the rubber o-ring. Shoots like a champ, big difference
You got a new metal ring too? I've cleaned the gas ports and gotten a new rubber o-ring and I still get the same FTF malfunction happening where the feeding shell is sticking partly out the ejection port. The gun used to work perfectly but now it just doesn't want too anymore.

I've put off getting a new shotgun for some stupid reason and just dealt with it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu