Socal ducks?

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Never been duck hunting. Grew up in a major duck hunting paradise in North Carolina but never got the itch. Doing some work with the dog in the upland arena, I want to test her metal with a duck.

From San Diego, are there any suggestions for getting started? I’m open to driving to make a trip out of it. Didn’t know if there was anything local to SoCal worth putting in the effort this year.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
Never been duck hunting. Grew up in a major duck hunting paradise in North Carolina but never got the itch. Doing some work with the dog in the upland arena, I want to test her metal with a duck.

From San Diego, are there any suggestions for getting started? I’m open to driving to make a trip out of it. Didn’t know if there was anything local to SoCal worth putting in the effort this year.

CL,

You can walk on either San J or Wister...You'll need the whole gamut of duck stuff from DFW...2 stamps, day pass, and of course your license...If you can find a freshwater pond, private or public, that would be your best bet...If you do go the wildlife area route...I would try to pick something as far away from anyone else you can...You'll find out why quickly... ;)

ps...Send me a PM...I'll try and help you out.

Like Steve mentioned put in for Wister and San J for this fall and you could pull some resi's. I got lucky and got drawn 3 times last year. Twice at Wister and once at San J. Dogs are definitely a plus out there.

Good luck

I would walk on as much as you can to learn the wildlife area, that way when you draw a resi, you’ll know which blinds you like. Afternoons can be great if you have a good spot on the refill list.

Reactions: CLarson757
Get in the sweat line at Wister and San j and water smack every Coot that swims by, you get 25 of them mud chickens a day! You don’t need shit for gear either. Unless someone gonna take you and let your dog work your gonna be on your own.

Get that dog wet !

There will likely be a volunteer workday at San Jacinto sometime in late July, maybe early August. It will be on a Saturday. If you can attend you'll be able to scope out the wildlife area, talk to some regulars there and some of the staff, and get some good info to get you started. Watch here for the announcement when the date is set.

Get in the sweat line at Wister and San j and water smack every Coot that swims by, you get 25 of them mud chickens a day! You don’t need shit for gear either. Unless someone gonna take you and let your dog work your gonna be on your own.

Get that dog wet !
Don’t forget buffies, ruddies and crippled pintails hiding in the tulies!

I appreciate all the insight gents. I’m a fan of fair chase and just want to cut my teeth and have fun. As far as what tags I need, I’ve got my duck validation and hunting license. Do I need to buy anything else to kill a duck this year?

I appreciate all the insight gents. I’m a fan of fair chase and just want to cut my teeth and have fun. As far as what tags I need, I’ve got my duck validation and hunting license. Do I need to buy anything else to kill a duck this year?
Federal duck stamp, ca duck validation and a type A wildlife area pass

Don’t forget the extreme range choke for the magic BB, 80 yard water smacks are great!

@CLarson757 that puddle gonna be forcein to pile better then @Aeon alley lab the end of the season that’s for dam sure!!!!
I appreciate the confidence! She’s no pro but she loves the water and birds so I might luck out and have her flushing quail and swimming ducks

Don’t forget the extreme range choke for the magic BB, 80 yard water smacks are great!

@CLarson757 that puddle gonna be forcein to pile better then @Aeon alley lab the end of the season that’s for dam sure!!!!
On the last hunt day at San J last year I got 1 out of 3 long range water smacks! They were a ways away, 50 or 60 yards at least with 2 3/4 #4s!! Thats the desperation of refilling on the last day!

Put in for the Wister draws.. if you pull a low ressie you'll have no problem finding a buddy or two here to tag along with ya.
Does that draw open in September? I’m having a hard time figuring out when it will open.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu