Socal ducks?

Use a bumper and pigeon’s
Bumpers and pigeons are a great start , but a dog can and will act differently to a duck , especially a crippled duck. I train reguarly at Prado dog park. I always have dead ducks , and I try to shoot fliers for the pups ( live Mallards) once a month. If you want to introduce your pup to ducks PM me and we can arrange to meet up one morning.

Is the wister hunt listed anywhere online to apply? I don’t see a thing about wister or duck drawings online when I login.
Bumpers and pigeons are a great start , but a dog can and will act differently to a duck , especially a crippled duck. I train reguarly at Prado dog park. I always have dead ducks , and I try to shoot fliers for the pups ( live Mallards) once a month. If you want to introduce your pup to ducks PM me and we can arrange to meet up one morning.

Man what an offer! You’re about 2 hours north of me. If I can get away for a day, I will definitely take you up on that offer. I appreciate that a lot.

Is the wister hunt listed anywhere online to apply? I don’t see a thing about wister or duck drawings online when I login.

They aren't available yet. It's too early. When they are up you'll find them in the online license sales, I believe they'll be on the same page as to purchase a hunting license. When the results come out they'll be under "View my draw applications / Preference points". I think it might be sometime in late August or early September you can start putting in for reservations, if I remember right. They usually wait at least that long so they can determine what wildlife area might be opened or closed depending on conditions so people aren't putting in for places that are closed then asking for their money back.

Has anyone ever hunted out near Martinez lake? I haven’t looked into it too much but I plan on checking out the quail scene there later this year also. I figured they must have some waterfowl hunting in the area.

Has anyone ever hunted out near Martinez lake? I haven’t looked into it too much but I plan on checking out the quail scene there later this year also. I figured they must have some waterfowl hunting in the area.
If you're talking about Martinez Lake in AZ on the Colorado River that's part of the Imperial National Wildlife Area (not to be confused with California's Imperial Wildlife Area at the south end of the Salton Sea, which Wister is a part of). US Fish and Wildlife has an office there on Martinez Lake at 12812 Wildlife Refuge Rd, Yuma, AZ 85364, phone # 928-783-337. They could probably help you with where and if you can hunt there.

Reactions: CLarson757
If you're talking about Martinez Lake in AZ on the Colorado River that's part of the Imperial National Wildlife Area (not to be confused with California's Imperial Wildlife Area at the south end of the Salton Sea, which Wister is a part of). US Fish and Wildlife has an office there on Martinez Lake at 12812 Wildlife Refuge Rd, Yuma, AZ 85364, phone # 928-783-337. They could probably help you with where and if you can hunt there.

perfect I’ll certainly be reaching out to them and see what I can come up with.

About 99% of hunting the river takes a boat...Cibola does offer hunting somewhat similar to other wildlife areas and refuges.

About 99% of hunting the river takes a boat...Cibola does offer hunting somewhat similar to other wildlife areas and refuges.

I want to bring my boat out there. I have a little 17’ skiff I fish with here in SD. It’s not a hunting boat but it could help me get up/ down River.

I want to bring my boat out there. I have a little 17’ skiff I fish with here in SD. It’s not a hunting boat but it could help me get up/ down River.

Now's the time to do some exploring/scouting...The river changes from year to year...The guys that are religious about hunting it can do quite well...It is not easy compared to Wister or San J.

ps...EASY is a relative term... ;)

Now's the time to do some exploring/scouting...The river changes from year to year...The guys that are religious about hunting it can do quite well...It is not easy compared to Wister or San J.

ps...EASY is a relative term... ;)

We’ve got a small house out there. Perfect time to run the river and enjoy the water a bit. I’ll start putting a game plan together and reach out to Fish and Game to get some idea of where I can/ can’t go.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I'm in Escondido and could spare a frozen duck. I kept a handful of the large billed variety for puppy training. They can be used multiple times.

I'm in Escondido and could spare a frozen duck. I kept a handful of the large billed variety for puppy training. They can be used multiple times.

id definitely take one if you can spare. I’ve got some frozen quail if you’d want to trade?

Learning the river is a long process. It will take a lot of trips and a lot of time before you start to score. Think years not days

Learning the river is a long process. It will take a lot of trips and a lot of time before you start to score. Think years not days
Also think gear you do not own and will not use for anything else because it is very specialized. A 21" boat will not do you much good there. I had the privelidge of a couple of trips with a veteran of the river in the early 90's and then spent a small fortune to get after it. It was fruitful but time consuming and expensive. I lived it every weekend for years which in my opinion is what it takes because you also need to learn the rhythm of the river, water flow and lack of water coupled with weather and timing of the migration.

Also think gear you do not own and will not use for anything else because it is very specialized. A 21" boat will not do you much good there. I had the privelidge of a couple of trips with a veteran of the river in the early 90's and then spent a small fortune to get after it. It was fruitful but time consuming and expensive. I lived it every weekend for years which in my opinion is what it takes because you also need to learn the rhythm of the river, water flow and lack of water coupled with weather and timing of the migration.

Exactly what I meant by Wister & San J being easier...... ;)

sounds like it. I’m sure no one wants to make it easier for the new guy pulling up on someone’s spot either. I’m honestly only out there once or twice a year. I would definitely have more of a reason if hunting was on the table. I might need to start small in SoCal but I could definitely take a few weeks to try and pick it apart.

Reactions: IVhunter
Haven't hunted waterfowl in 16 years. No waterfowl hunting in HI. My favorite bird hunting next to MT ruffies. Can't wait for waterfowl season to start. Will need some guidance and expert advice from some of you pros.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu