SoCal Turkey Hunting

Mdwsthunter

Mar 16, 2019
Hey ya’ll. Anyone have any luck turkey hunting the San Bernardino National Forest around Crestline/Arrowhead?

No....The turkeys in these areas are basically none existent….The last relocation effort was 1997....They did not take.

If you're going to hunt turkeys in SoCal, it will be in San Diego Co....Today

Based on the map above and others I have seen, should be around hwy 138 and north of Arrowhead and Bigbear. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

We're is the map off?
And why?

No turkeys in San Berdo NF, none in Orange Co., None in Eastern Riverside (did hear of a few on the Santa Rosa Plateau one time), none in the Angela's NF....San Diego Co. is pretty much OK....Although, that blue in SD Co. is probably much smaller..

I heard that turkeys from Lake Silverwood plants made it to Wrightwood. I have also heard reports of turkeys at Irvine Lake and Camp Pendleton which probably came from San Diego.

That is the last I heard a few years ago as well. You will need to look at the Angeles NF and not the San Berdo side. Although, I did hear that there are still birds in Berdo, but on private. Camp birds or something.

There are definitely Orange County birds. They are potentially huntable on private. Modjeska Canyon area.

Unless someone posts pictures of birds in SBNF it would be hard not to hold all the talk with as much of a value as bigfoot stories ;) lol.

This drainage is below Wrightwood. The turkey part is at the end of the video. This bird could have easily come down this drainage from the Wrightwood area.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
This sounds more like a challenge...now I want to drive up to SBNF and hunt turkey's in the snow. Actually they definitely are not there, no one should bother looking around ;)

I have seen turkeys in the San Bernardino mountains in Deep Creek, Crab Flats. Silverwood Lake area, Onyx Summit, Seven Oaks, sewage treatment plant behind Lake Arrowhead, and Below Big Bear Dam. Keep in mind this was like 20 years ago. There were a lot of turkeys there back then.

Ya..i shoot them there all the time..easy to find.. we gonna whack 3 this weekend ...maybe 6..its all in the tone of the scratch box..hit the right note...and Blammo!! They come running.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu