Suggestions for a new rifle/caliber

The WSM 's in my opinion are over (all of them ), Based on short case technology that has shown good progress in ballistics and accuracy it just did not capture the popularity it needed to sustain it's existence. Despite that it had shown good performance on paper they have seemed to fail .The 300 had the best shot but that even seem's to be going away and that's a shame IMO . It was a great try but just did not get it's get go. Sorry to see this but many other caliber's like the 264 Win mag and the 350 rem mag have fallen to the same types of prejudice.

Reactions: TRICER
I would agree with Fred on the 270 and 7mm wsm but my opinion is 300wsm is here to stay or at least it won’t be gone for a while. It’s been around almost 20 years now so it is definitely a viable caliber and a choice I would highly consider. There really isn’t short action magnums around that are going to knock it off or take it over.

OK , NBK and JP please chime in. You guys deal with this everyday.What do you see and think ? I know how from your professional experience and interaction you have developed knowledge. Way back when NBK and I walked the world with 338 win mag's together side by side and I challenge all here on this forum to say that was a bad choice because in our past opinion it did it all. There are certain couplings of bullet and powder that just make it happen no matter what. Some was more than needed as other was less, I guess its all what work's best For you. Let's hear what everyone has to say this is great conversation...

I have a tikka t3 .300wsm my only complaint was recoil but after I put a muzzle brake on it it’s a great rifle. Because it’s a short action you save on weight compared to a WM. I shoot 168 barns TTSX and It’s extremely accurate.

.View attachment 38315
If I’m not mistaken (I could be) the T3’s are all built on the same action with the same length bolt. The only thing that changes is the bolt face, the bolt stop and the magazine. So in the case of the Tikka I don’t believe there is any weight savings in a short action chambering. If you buy a rifle with different length actions of course there would be a weight savings.

That said, for the price the OP is looking to spend I don’t think you can do better than the Tikka. They are really, really accurate out of the box. There seems to be more and more aftermarket stuff for them, there are definitely several options on stocks now. The new ones replaced the plastic bolt shroud with steel. I honestly think the T3 with that grey laminate stock is a really attractive rifle as is. They chamber it in a whole slew of cartridges. Great triggers, great barrels. Fits your price point and you’ll be able to put a nice optic on it.

For under $1K the Tikka is the best for sure. The 7 Rem Mag is a great all around cartridge. And the recoil is less than the 300's too.

The 300 WSM is far more efficient than the 300 Win Mag with bullets in the 165 - 180 grain range. The 300 Win Mag excels with the heavier bullets. Both are killers on elk and moose sized game. The animal won't know the difference at any range...

Monkey wrench time - take a look at the 6.5 PRC or the 6.5x284 Norma. They are freight trains on game out to 750 with still about 1300 foot lbs of energy left and no recoil. Just saying...

Ah hell, just get a 7 Rem Mag and be done with it....

Reactions: parkermann
For under $1K the Tikka is the best for sure. The 7 Rem Mag is a great all around cartridge. And the recoil is less than the 300's too.

The 300 WSM is far more efficient than the 300 Win Mag with bullets in the 165 - 180 grain range. The 300 Win Mag excels with the heavier bullets. Both are killers on elk and moose sized game. The animal won't know the difference at any range...

Monkey wrench time - take a look at the 6.5 PRC or the 6.5x284 Norma. They are freight trains on game out to 750 with still about 1300 foot lbs of energy left and no recoil. Just saying...

Ah hell, just get a 7 Rem Mag and be done with it....

I’ve been reading up on 6.5 PRC and it looks really sweet. If I decide to build a dedicated long range rig 6.5 PRC is currently at the top of the list.

The WSM 's in my opinion are over (all of them ), Based on short case technology that has shown good progress in ballistics and accuracy it just did not capture the popularity it needed to sustain it's existence. Despite that it had shown good performance on paper they have seemed to fail .The 300 had the best shot but that even seem's to be going away and that's a shame IMO . It was a great try but just did not get it's get go. Sorry to see this but many other caliber's like the 264 Win mag and the 350 rem mag have fallen to the same types of prejudice.

The 300 WSM is one of the top selling hunting cartridges in the US. It falls into the top 10 every year. It is here to stay. Accurate, efficient and a powerhouse all packaged in a short action.

I have been fortunate enough to have shot a few elk and the 300 WSM has been my favorite cartridge so far...

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I’m very interested in a 6.5. Been comparing them for a little while. I was leaning towards a 260 rem but the 6.5 PRC seems tough to beat. But I think that will be next years gun for me.

For now I’m leaning towards the 7 rem mag. Although I am very interested in the 300wsm

257wbymag...but what do i know,i just stand there...it just sounds like a cool caliber though

My daughter and son in law want to move most likely to Montana.
I gonna need a bigger rifle and side arm.
Guess who will be visiting, spring, summer, and fall.

If you don't reload, go to your local ammo stores and check the shelf for ease of finding the lead free caliber of your choice as a factor in your decision making as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu