Sunrise Service in the Turkey Woods

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Jacob & I knew we didn't have a lot of time this morning...We also knew that Julian was pretty much fogged in, wet, and cold...So, we decided on a spot that I had not shot a turkey before, but I knew they were there.

The spot we hunted was not near the roost, but I had watched these birds for a couple of years now...When they lose their hens they like to gobble high on the mountain...We set-up halfway up...Nothing for about an hour, then we got our 1st hit on a Flydown slate...In minutes, he was on us and eyeballing the decoys (breeding hen & jake)...This boy liked to gobble and he had a strong one...But the grass was wet and we just couldn't see a beard (the grass was high too)...He hung around at 35-45 yds for at least 45 minutes...Then we could see he was changing his posture and head color (red to white)...Sure enough, he had company...1st saw the two white heads coming to him from his right...Then they started chasing him around...To the right of them was a single hen...As soon as the jake got scared off, they saw the decoys...And they lit up for another fight...Instead of a fight, they found a twenty & a twelve with TSS #9's...And down they go on 3.

Jacob's bird was a big boy...22-1 lbs, 9 1/2" beard, 1" hooks....My bird weighed 18-6, 10 1/2" beard, 1 " spurs.

Happy Easter everyone.

.015.JPG034.JPG028.JPG

Heck yeah, Steve!

Do you find yourself using a Jake and hen decoy combo often? I definitely have confidence in that same setup. A feel a gobbler may hang up when he sees a hen decoy, but add the Jake and they want to kick ass! I just have a hard time hunting with just a hen decoy these days.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Can someone clarify for me if resident hunting has been banned in CA? I know that in other states they tried but it was shot down.

Great morning Steve.

Reactions: nicapopolis
Can someone clarify for me if resident hunting has been banned in CA? I know that in other states they tried but it was shot down.

Great morning Steve.
CA has not banned hunting yet. They tell us to stay away from people and go for a walk. Perfect way to do it Steve. I know you've been self isolating with Jacob and Stefani so glad to see someone getting out .
Great picture of you 2 congrats.

Heck yeah, Steve!

Do you find yourself using a Jake and hen decoy combo often? I definitely have confidence in that same setup. A feel a gobbler may hang up when he sees a hen decoy, but add the Jake and they want to kick ass! I just have a hard time hunting with just a hen decoy these days.

My feelings exactly...This year I've had even jakes hang up on a single hen...This jake hung up on the jake decoy (most the time they don't like a one on one fight)...There's no way a couple of big boys are going to let a jake breed a hen in front of them.

Thank goodness!

Re: Haters.....there is no need to curse another man for his freedom of choice to go hunting....you can disagree with someone without cursing them?? I get it that your personal situation is not good....but better off just ignoring the thread if you cant handle it, rather than a curse filled personal attack??.....right G? LOL

Fred,

With all due respect...I have stayed home most this turkey season...I have hunted all private property and mostly by myself...Last I checked, this is America and the home of the FREE...Hunting has NOT been banned and I can't think of a better or safer place to be as in the outdoors...You live in the country...For us CITY folk, spending time in the outdoors is just as important mentally as staying safe from a virus...Of all people, I would think you would understand this.

Fred,

With all due respect...I have stayed home most this turkey season...I have hunted all private property and mostly by myself...Last I checked, this is America and the home of the FREE...Hunting has NOT been banned and I can't think of a better or safer place to be as in the outdoors...You live in the country...For us CITY folk, spending time in the outdoors is just as important mentally as staying safe from a virus...Of all people, I would think you would understand this.

Styeve ,

good for you for trying and keep some sanity and normality in your life. In additon based on current stats you were more likely to be killed in an auto accident on the way to hunting to than by the dreaded COVID 19 virus.

Styeve ,

good for you for trying and keep some sanity and normality in your life. In additon based on current stats you were more likely to be killed in an auto accident on the way to hunting to than by the dreaded COVID 19 virus.

You also would have been MORE of a risk to society by going to the store and buying Turkey there!

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
You also would have been MORE of a risk to society by going to the store and buying Turkey there!
Very true nic!! I,ll be grocery shopping the end of the month for pork and turkey back in the great state of CA! Those boys of mine have no idea what covid 19 is apparently..the way they eat now that they are all home..thank goodness for wild game
.and the TRUCK!

Very true nic!! I,ll be grocery shopping the end of the month for pork and turkey back in the great state of CA! Those boys of mine have no idea what covid 19 is apparently..the way they eat now that they are all home..thank goodness for wild game
.and the TRUCK!

Very nice Steve. With the cops writing tickets for parking on the side of the road my turkey season is over for now hope to get out during archery and looking forward to fishing the local lakes after no one has fished them in a while too!

Awesome Steve... Congrats to both hunters.
Question.. First picture, That one turkey next to the decoy wasn't spooked after taking the others down?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu