The funny things we catch on our game cams

That picture is really good, we called those peak moment pictures; save it for a future picture contest, you never know!

Here's a good coyote from last week. I cropped the left side off. If there is a game cam contest can they be cropped for camera security?

Attachments

• PICT0088-1-1 (2)yote 10-17-11.jpg
    PICT0088-1-1 (2)yote 10-17-11.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 143
Great picture Toad! Crop away...

BTW: There is a best photo contest where $100 dollars has been donated by the Southern California Hunting Staff. All photos are eligible but it must be of a hunt. We will consider game cams for another giveaway.

Another coyote hunting last spring in the snow. Palomar district, CNF.

Attachments

• HUNT0011-3 low.jpg
    HUNT0011-3 low.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 131
NBK said:
Great picture Toad! Crop away...

BTW: There is a best photo contest where $100 dollars has been donated by the Southern California Hunting Staff. All photos are eligible but it must be of a hunt. We will consider game cams for another giveaway.

Well cropping is a way to make some times pictures look better, for instance you may have a picture of a beautiful buck on the left side and a lens flare on the right side because you did not pay attention to the sunlight. So you guys shouldn't be cropping pictures, that is more like cheating. What I suggest is to blur the areas you want to cover on the picture or send the original one to me and I can help you do the blurring or masking. Any of this actions won't affect the picture qualification for obvious reasons.
Remember we will be looking for the best picture not the best animal, trophy etc. We won't care if it's a rabbit or Grizzly Bear. We will consider photo composition, lighting, color, depth of field, peak moments, creativity etc.
If you have a very cool picture of something that happened spontaneously and it does not have high quality standards send it to us as spontaneity could be you poker of aces. (Hope I said that right).
So start reading those dammed camera manuals or start asking me technical questions. Whatever you can do to improve the quality of your photos. You never know how far a picture can go in now days.
Also don't forget that at some point we will have a contest for the best video; so far you guys have not share a lot of videos on the forum don't be shy guys come on ! Upload them to youtube.com and copy paste the link in your posts.

Take care.
Santiago Cohen

Some game camera thoughts...

On some of my set ups, I try and have a local landmark in the background. For example, If I can get a nice bobcat or deer with the Los Pinos fire lookout in the background it just adds to the cool factor. Unfortunately, most of the time I have to crop that out to keep the camera safe. I lose more then a camera when I find a good spot and get riped off. Once I get a camera taken I don't go back. I am guilty myself of using Google earth to match up pictures to see where the deer was taken. I also find that lower to the ground cameras take cooler pictures, but the risk is much greater. Another reason I crop is I've run into ranchers who will let me set up on their ranch with Game cameras as long as I share the pictures with them. No hunting allowed, but cameras are ok. This helps me scout and provides them with free animal pictures and trespassing information. Word of mouth spreads quick using this method and you can meet some good people.

heres 2 more pics from the strip.a 36" 4x4 with a cheater..and a toad of a cactus buck(I actually passed on the cactus) you never know how your hunt is going to end..I SHOULDNT HAVE PASSED ON HIM!!!

Attachments

• az strip 2011 257.jpg
    az strip 2011 257.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 41
  • az strip 2011 264.jpg
    az strip 2011 264.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 40
Jeff you should have shot the cactus buck, that thing would be cool on the wall. Can't wait to come out there!

yea I know I shoulda shot the fuggin thing..but the buck that jumped the fence behind em was "conservatively" 36" wide with a cheater..I cant wait to draw that tag again!!!the strip is like NO OTHER!!!!

Here's a Mountain lion from D16 area in the CNF. Taken the last week of October 2011.

Attachments

• MDGC0754-1 (1).jpg
    MDGC0754-1 (1).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 86
toad said:
Here's a Mountain lion from D16 area in the CNF. Taken the last week of October 2011.
Saw some lion tracks on Laguna yesterday, some down off Los Heucos by the watr tank, and some off Thing Valley. I did see stands in both areas, I hope I am not walking on your plot. I see a stand, and I try to stear clear.
E

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu