Things are looking really bad

KID CREOLE

Aug 29, 2014
I cant even sugar coat this but the info we are getting from our friends and farmers in Nor Cal is nothing short of devsastating.

For those of you who hunt Nor Cal on private property please contact your guides or who you lease ground from if you have hunts planned for the upcoming season.

Basically, 90% of the rice from Arbuckle north and west of the Sacramento River will not be planted as of today. You can kiss any decomp water goodbye for this season

How this will effect the local refuges like Colusa, Delevan and Sac will be interesting

We are hearing same thing Stephan. We have talked to our land owner last week and he did not have an answer if he was getting water. Even if he does still sounds bleak as birds are not going to moving around. I think the refuges will be holding the birds until their food source is gone and then where do they go. My guess is they will be down by Elk Grove

Reactions: KID CREOLE
Yup Mike, its terrible.

We might be leaving the decoys in storage this year!!!

Not sure what we are going to do. The price of fuel also has an effect on us also. Been trying to find info to relocate down to Elk Grove area but no success

ya my guide up there had to cancel our hunts last year. No water in his fields doesn't know what he is going to do. He is talking about going to ID. Bummer for me he still owes me like $5k in hunts for some trade work.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
East side of the valley is sounding like the situation is slightly better. Farmers I know in the Sutter area are talking 50% of their fields planted.

If you have water this fall, you will pound em.

Rice takes water, lots of water, and the mismanagement of the water by this state has been well documented...This was bound to happen...Sad really... :(

ps...What takes more water, rice or almonds?
Rice takes more water, the almond farmers who have gone to drip irrigation, rice cannot be drip irrigated. Get ready folks as Cali chase's agriculture out of California the food you eat will be imported and cost more and may be dependent on foreign sources (off shore ) (how comfortable do you feel with that ?). A state that used to have it all to take care of its residents now supports the urban centers of the state i.e. the bay area. L.A. and Sactown and that strips away the ability of the resources that we had to sustain ourselves. We were once known as the salad bowl of the nation with Florida a far second. With the cut off of water to agriculture we will become dependent on other countries (central america and asia for our sustinance.) With their drug wars and raging gang violence, communism and suppressive goverments we will be become dependent on an unstable supply chain that can hold us hostage and the cost of living will go up and be unreliable. Starting to build my own infrastructure and make my own food and energy until I can get out of this place. This is just stupid short sited goals aimed at economic digital dominance in the world with no regard towards to the folks that came before us to develop this part of the world. digital death IMO.. You don't know what you got until its gone...

Last edited:
This really isn't about almonds vs rice, this is about gross water mismanagement and the loss of habitat and how it will effect local duck reproduction and habitat for next falls migration.

The area not getting planted is roughly 15 or so miles wide and 50 miles long and probably larger. Of course having next years fall flight concentrated on refuges is setting the stage for a catastrophe if Avian Cholera pops up

Keep in mind, the state has dumped more than 500k acre feet of water into the ocean since Dec

I think it will be a larger area when everyone gets notified. There were fields on the east side last year that were left fallow because of water. So I believe there will be more this year.

Our deserts down here are being destroyed by the illegal pot farms and are mostly grown with stolen water.
Another example of piss poor management and poor planning.

Reactions: Smokey58 and CRABBY
Almonds vs Rice

Rice- you get 50% of your water allotment you can grow 50% of your rice. Rice irrigation helps with groundwater recharge as well.

Almonds- you get 50% of your water but you have to keep 100% of your perennial crop alive. Therefore you pump and cause the subsidence problems seen in the San joaquin valley today. We should be growing annual crops in the San Joaquin valley, not perennial crops.

Reactions: Smokey58
I think it will be a larger area when everyone gets notified. There were fields on the east side last year that were left fallow because of water. So I believe there will be more this year.
Absolutely. There are east side farmers I know personally that are selling their water allotments because it's worth more then growing a crop. Especially with high fuel and fertilizer prices.

Might want to stock up on rice if you like eating it. It will be more expensive.

Reactions: KID CREOLE
Latest on Sites:

I follow this and Sitesproject.Org

Funding seems to be lining up. There is hope. Not going to help now, but would surely help in future.

So the north part of the valley from basically the city of Sacramento to Willows west of the Sacrament River will receive 17% water allotment out of Lake Shasta.

On the east side of the Sac River, the farms that get water from Lake Orrovile will get close to 50%.

I'm sure there will be some trade offs of water from rice to Orchards to keep the trees alive and some farmers due to filed locations and logistics of moving water along with skyrocketing fuel and fertilizer cost will choose not to plant at all

Keep in mind folks this is WAY bigger than rice not being planted, the local mallard hatch along with what few pheasants are left will be hurt drastically

Not sure how this will effect the refuges but I doubt this will be good for Kern and Mendota

So the north part of the valley from basically the city of Sacramento to Willows west of the Sacrament River will receive 17% water allotment out of Lake Shasta.

On the east side of the Sac River, the farms that get water from Lake Orrovile will get close to 50%.

I'm sure there will be some trade offs of water from rice to Orchards to keep the trees alive and some farmers due to filed locations and logistics of moving water along with skyrocketing fuel and fertilizer cost will choose not to plant at all

Keep in mind folks this is WAY bigger than rice not being planted, the local mallard hatch along with what few pheasants are left will be hurt drastically

Not sure how this will effect the refuges but I doubt this will be good for Kern and Mendota

It's going to effect every refuge, I'm sure...If they can let Tule Lake die...They can let any refuge or wildlife area die.

And like you said earlier with all the birds concentrated where the water is expect to see a huge die off due to botulism. And the birds that do survive when the food source is gone on the refuges where do they go.

Latest on Sites:

I follow this and Sitesproject.Org

Funding seems to be lining up. There is hope. Not going to help now, but would surely help in future.
Yup, they should have been doing this all along. This will be the first water storage reservoir in CA since they built Diamond Valley in 1999. You'd think water storage would have been a priority in a state that's in "perpetual drought" (Moonbeam's words) but it was more important to give the money to illegals and put it towards a train to nowhere that will never be completed.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu