Things are looking really bad

And like you said earlier with all the birds concentrated where the water is expect to see a huge die off due to botulism. And the birds that do survive when the food source is gone on the refuges where do they go.
That huge botulism die off in the K basin a couple years ago was unacceptable and a huge mistake by USFWS service. Putting a small amount of water on a traditional molt area was a tragedy waiting to happen. They should've left it dry. Birds would've kept going and ended up at Summer lake and crisis would've been averted.

The water crisis is man made, unless you believe NOAA has been fudging numbers for over a 100 years

The politicians are dumping the water in the ocean

1650376287046.png

Reactions: MJB and PewPew252
My son talked to the land owner today and none of our fields will be planted. Also there will be no other fields in entire Princeton area that will be planted. Not sure what we are going to do

My son talked to the land owner today and none of our fields will be planted. Also there will be no other fields in entire Princeton area that will be planted. Not sure what we are going to do

Mike,

Back to "The Wis"?.......................... :cool:

I heard the other day that the Colorado river dries up before it even gets to the ocean.
I never thought about it,but thats pretty bad. Wont be long the only duck hunting will be on the ocean. if we have no fresh water. lol
Just a stupid opinion.

There are a few things to consider and look forward to. There likely will be little to no decomp water which will likely turn into a lot more fog days.
if you can get your farmer to mow and not disc you are in the money.

I'm betting on lots of fog and will make the most of it

There are a few things to consider and look forward to. There likely will be little to no decomp water which will likely turn into a lot more fog days.
if you can get your farmer to mow and not disc you are in the money.

I'm betting on lots of fog and will make the most of it
Not sure on what conditions the fields were left in. The land owner was not sure how far the farmer had worked on the fields. When we were there in February had had just started. He had burned all the checks and was just starting to disc the fields

After reading this thread, it sounds like it will be an even rougher season than the past few years. For the past 20+ years, I have hunted in SoCal at the Wister Refuge. Water allocation and plot planting to attract and hold birds has been very limited the past few years, making it tough to put even a few birds in the bag for each hunt. Additionally, the solar fields have taken over a large amount of ag area, completely drying up a lot of canals, so jumping ducks has been equally as tough. With the added rip-off at the gas pump this year, it's tough to justify spending $200 in gas in a weekend, trying to scratch up a few birds. I sadly don't see much of a duck season ahead for me.

Ahh..angry duck boy....read much? Read kennys last sentence...then read my response..try not to get your milk too hot son..I too have been known to duck .quit Abit .

There is much truth to this !! But seriously..I do have a vested interest in the nor cal water issue..there's some kin up in the gridley area that run a private goose pit..this will undoubtedly fck then over on there livleyhood...not looking good at all fellas..

Reactions: duck-boy
Totally agree. This is another man-made crisis.

The Water Management and Planning in this pathetic state has been horrible. Capacity has been virtually stagnant for 30+ year. Carlsbad has a DeSal plant as of a few years ago. They should have 5 more in San Diego, 10 in LA and more all over the state, with supporting infrastructure to carry and hold water inland 50 miles. If the greenies say the seas are rising, this would solve it. And compared to all the money they are completely flushing on Social Welfare Programs, the DeSal plants are cheap. ......never happen tho.

And, the big bummer is, if I am not duck hunting, neither is my mutt, Otis. I need to train him to clean the garage or change the oil in my boat :cool:

off my soapbox.....

83% of normal, we are not in a MEGA drought, its man made

View attachment 54123
Truth. While we are in a deficit the powers that be sure let a lot of water run out in the 2020 spring and summer, when we had completely full reservoirs. 83% snowpack should not equate to 15% allocation for fed water on the west side. An abomination. If you like to eat rice as my family and I do, stock up now.

Good point....stocking up soon on Rice and chop sticks for sure....Also, been looking into buying a 3-6 month supply of dehydrated food for the family. Spendy investment, but probably worth it, after watching how things are going....yikes. CA life is messed up........Need to move to Idaho, off-grid, hunt/fish and nap more ;)

Reactions: MJB and ilovesprig
We all hate rumors but when you hear the same exact story from 3 different people who dont know each other it makes you shake your head

Many people I know, some in DFW are saying Sac, Delevan and Colusa are likely not going to open for hunting. If true, you misght as well add Kern

I hope this doesnt happen

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu