Tips for after the deer is down and quartered

I dont touch then at all...i have the mongrols do all the work..i,ll drive the truck to the point of extraction though..i just pray that when im notified of a harvest...that there is a road close by...the thought of having to walk into a hell hole keeps me up most nights during the season..fun fact.

Last edited:
X2. I used to go to TH&H but since they've closed, Specialty Meats has been excellent. I do all of the butchery myself so I really only take them stuff to make ground and sausage, since my grinder is broken. I debone it to avoid the bone disposal fee, and Audie gave me a good deal on the ground and the country sausage I ordered. All the prime cuts I cut and vacuum wrap myself at home.
^^^THIS. It's not hard to butcher it yourself. And you know you'll minimize wastefulness. And they have vacuum sealers for very reasonable prices.

There's a place literally .5mi from my front door that I'll have make sausages. I happen to think they are a bit pricey, but for the convenience of being so close I just deal with it.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
^^^THIS. It's not hard to butcher it yourself. And you know you'll minimize wastefulness. And they have vacuum sealers for very reasonable prices.
Since I'm usually miles from my truck (pour it on @HATCHET1), most of the work is already done. Deer is quartered in the field and loaded into game bags into my pack for the hike out. After that it's just de-boning to avoid the bone dispersal fee. Easy peasy.. maybe one of these days I'll wise up to get a deer close enough to load the whole damn thing into my rig to drop off at Specialty Meats.

Reactions: TheGDog
Oh, you don't debone right there in the field? I debone out in the field right while I'm doing it. The meat bags have just meat put into them. Head and Hide goes into another bag. That way not carrying the additional weight of the bones as well.

Oh, you don't debone right there in the field? I debone out in the field right while I'm doing it. The meat bags have just meat put into them. Head and Hide goes into another bag. That way not carrying the additional weight of the bones as well.
Depends.. once it was real hot and I had meat bees attacking so I decided to leave the quarters on the bone and get outta there. If I've got time I'll debone in the field to pack light. Last couple times though it was quarter and run.

I hate meat bees! Got lit up when I was processing @BBH deer last year. Apparently when your hands are bloody they can’t tell the difference between you and the deer.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGDog
Depends.. once it was real hot and I had meat bees attacking so I decided to leave the quarters on the bone and get outta there. If I've got time I'll debone in the field to pack light. Last couple times though it was quarter and run.
Maybe try what I tried of only skinning just the area you're working on, and don't skin any more until you've cleared that one section. And of course, chucking the limb bones far away to give em something else to go after. Seemed to help a bit. But my sample size of experiences is obviously very limited. So it's not like I can confirm a trend.

I truly admire you guys that bone out your deer...It means to me you've worked long and hard to get to them...I was always a guy that drug the buck to wherever I was parked (hence, always hunted up hill)…I had some really memorable drags in the Eastern Sierra's...This big boy was one of them...Whew!!!

ps...Never had a problem with meat bees until the last few years.

.Bridgeport Oct 1971.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu