TURKEY CHOKES

MAG 1

Sep 1, 2016
Looking for advice on turkey chokes for my SBE111 ? i get to pick it up this weekend and want to start shopping for TURKEY chokes.

ANY ADVICE ???

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hey mag when you pick up shotty.
Check the sight really good.
I have read reviews some of the SBE
Having that issue.
The sight on some have been off to the
Barrel. Want to verify that before hitting the trails.
Good luck.

Reactions: MAG 1
A $2,000.00 shotgun better have solid sights (2 on SBE's)…...lol

I did add Tru-Glo sights to all my SBE's in front of the smaller front sight on them.

Mark,

I use the Primos Jellyhead on my old SBE that I shoot lead with (other states).....When I shot the TSS last year, I just used my standard modified.....Killed them pretty dead.....The plain full might be a good compromise.

Hey mag when you pick up shotty.
Check the sight really good.
I have read reviews some of the SBE
Having that issue.
The sight on some have been off to the
Barrel. Want to verify that before hitting the trails.
Good luck.
I cant imagine how this could even be an issue with a shotgun. You don't really aim using the sights when wing shooting. That gun should feel like an extension of your body and you swing through the bird.

Even when aiming at a Turkey I cant think of the sight being slightly off would be a huge problem.

... but maybe I shoot shotguns wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A $2,000.00 shotgun better have solid sights (2 on SBE's)…...lol

I did add Tru-Glo sights to all my SBE's in front of the smaller front sight on them.

Mark,

I use the Primos Jellyhead on my old SBE that I shoot lead with (other states).....When I shot the TSS last year, I just used my standard modified.....Killed them pretty dead.....The plain full might be a good compromise.
Steve,

I have always been a Jellyhead fan, but I am K.I.S.S. guy. That is the first choke I bought when I started Turkey hunting.

Worked for me twice this spring...
8e27b3e8aee9e16568bc4555d845a49d.jpg
352161ecd2ff8fb92676d308b17c5929.jpg

Mark,

As far as chokes go I'm happy with my Kicks High Flyers.. I have them in Mod and XFull, and use the XF for turkey and Mod for just about everything else. They can handle steel or Hevi-Shot/TSS just fine too. Kicks also makes a Gobblin' Thunder choke specifically for turkey but I'm not sure it's designed for non-lead shot. Also have heard good things about Carlson chokes but haven't used them personally so I can't vouch for them. Make sure if/when you buy you get the right one though.. I may be wrong but I think the new SBE uses the Benelli Crio system instead of the past Mobil chokes like mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Stoeger came with an extended Turkey choke from the factory. Maybe the SBE III does too. If so, I would give it a pattern before buying anything.

Do some research regarding chokes to use by reading about what kind of chokes are supposed to be used with the particular load you are going to use as well.

I remember reading some distinct differences when it's Steel vs when it's Heavier-Than-Lead. This was when I was researching for using a shotgun for Coyotes. I'm a Shotgun n00b, so wanted to do all my research before I bought components. I *believe* I remember reading that with the HEavier-Than-Lead rounds... you didn't want to go above Modified Choke with the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote anyway because it would actually apparently not pattern as well with a Full choke. Aaaandd... I *think* it was that if you were using Steel... that you were specifically NOT supposed to go above a Modified Choke anyway, something to do with the inability of the individual shot to compress?? Thus unsafe?? (Cue the seasoned Duckers/turkey hunters to chim in on that one)

Search around over on PredatorMasters and there is a VERY extensive thread some guy posted where he did a SH!T-TON of work documenting patterning results with like I wanna say 4 different types/lengths of shotguns and a multitude of chokes in each and his presentation of his findings is exquisitely thorough with pics and the whole nine yards!

so I was looking at the Indian Creek Black Diamond. How are you supposed to tell if I need the Beretta,Benelli , Benelli sbe 2, or the crio benelli ??????
Driving me crazy. I haven't seen 1 for the sbe3. HELP

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu