TURKEY CHOKES

Does anyone here know about a really good choke and brand for a remington 870 express super magnum?

I will be needing one for my nova-pump... let me search the interweb

I ended up going with the Indian Creek Black Diamond for my SBE3. Still have not shot hopefully this weekend. There was a lot of research that went into this purchase, in Camifornia everything is steel shot, all the reviews or most of them use lead. Make sure what ever choke you buy can shoot STEEL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you're speaking about a modern shotgun with removable chokes... No, the barrel isn't an issue. Chokes are though.

The chokes are an issue when shooting Steel or Heavier-than-Lead because the shot pellets are hard and can't deform like the softer lead shot can.

Most modern removeable choke shotguns can do steel with the stock chokes offered by the manufacturer. But the stock chokes don't do heavier-than-lead. (Would cost more to produce the stronger material chokes necessary for Heaver-than-Lead shot.

Your choke narrows and constricts the pathway thru which the shot pellets travel. Therefore you must make sure the choke says directly on it that it is ok to use for Steel and/or Heavier than lead (Tungsten/Bismuth). Since those metals for shot pellets will not deform if constricted too much, not only is there an upper limit of how much you can choke them down... but you also need to be using a choke constructed of hard-enough metallurgy to withstand being subjected to those shot metals which are much harder than lead.

I did a lot of reading on this recently as I hadn't touched a shotgun in 30yrs, and recently decided to get back into it. For my purposes, I was concerned with using one for Predators. For the heavier-than-lead offerings, you need to read the information provided by both the ammo manufacturer (because they may tell you that you shouldn't put on a choke that constricts more than <some measurement> ) and also make sure the particular choke you are buying/using states specifically that it is safe to use with steel or heavier-than-lead.

Apparently, when you start getting into the bigger shot sizes in Heavier-than-lead... such as the HEVI-SHOT Dead Coyote in BB or T, for some of them they say not to go more that Modified, that it will actually make the pattern worse if attempt you go tighter than a Modifed. And that also, exceeding their recommended amounts of constriction can cause a dangerous condition (from the pressures that occur when these shot of harder metals are forced to collide with each other as they pass thru an area of too-much constriction in the choke, giving them no wiggle-room or place to go away from each other, as you can imagine, with the lead, when push comes to shove, some of them can deform as needed, that won't happen with the Steel or Heavier than Lead).

Reactions: "Relentless"
YOU SHOULD NEVER SHOOT STEEL THRU TURKEY CHOKES (Standard mod only to be safe).....In fact, IMO....You shouldn't shoot steel at turkeys, period.

The Primos Jellyhead is .670 constriction....And I've shot Hevi-Shot turkey loads thru it with no problems (SBE)….I used it for the new TSS loads last spring....Deadly patterns out at 50 yds.

ps....The bigger the pellet....The more open the choke should be.

Hey sprig? Finding 12ga loads more geared towards coyotes, locally, for me, has proved frustrating.

However I was able to find BBB in Steel, #1 Shot in Hevi-Shot Speed-Ball, and Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend 5,6,7 for Turkey.

With these loads mentioned... what would be approximate safe max shot distance on a coyote with each of them?

Hey sprig? Finding 12ga loads more geared towards coyotes, locally, for me, has proved frustrating.

However I was able to find BBB in Steel, #1 Shot in Hevi-Shot Speed-Ball, and Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend 5,6,7 for Turkey.

With these loads mentioned... what would be approximate safe max shot distance on a coyote with each of them?

I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, but I do know Dead Coyote is the best (T's)....Best of your choices would be #1 Speedball...IMO....Maybe 45-50 yds.....BBB is just one size down from T's....Probably about the same distance....The turkey load. I personally would probably want to keep it inside 40 yds.

X2
Here is a link for an good explanation of chokes.
Turkey choke (extra full choke)
No steel
https://1source.basspro.com/index.php/component/k2/240-hunting-gear/397-guide-to-shotgun-choke-tubes
In the link I provided it it has recommended distance for each type of barrel choke. Your milage may very.
What now under stand hevi shot plus that extra full choke will
Get you out that few Xtra yards.
With my modified choke with lead
I would instinctively buy larger shot to get further out.
Advantage of removable choke
Easy to change out. I have a fixed
Choke modified , I can still hunt
Turkey just have shorter range.
Hevi shot with bigger diameter shot it works but not as well as a turkey Shotgun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu