Turkey Decoy spreads

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
Those who have had success so far this season, what kind of spread are you finding the toms like?

Standard Jake and hen setup or just hens?

Never have used them...the good old Cherokee sneak works well ! But if I were to use them..Id set up a Jake pounding a hen..seems to get the big guys a little angry as young Jake is ripping into Henrietta leaving old Tom with sloppy seconds...he's usually not to happy about that.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
You just call them in then? That’s impressive.

Evan,

I'm a fair caller at best...I put myself (and who ever I'm with) in a position that they have to find me...When they clear brush or stuff in between...They're in range....,,:blush:

Today on the "Best 40" with Jacob, I put out decoys...They went around us like the plague...I mean like 70-90 yds around us...Don't know if it was the snow, decoys, positioning...Just know we should've had a long......:confused:

ps...That's a bearded hen in the background... ;)

IMG_5056 - Copy.JPG

They pretty curious birds...really never have used deeks. That's my 1.5 cents...set up and do some dirty talking...big bird boner will get the best of him.at some point.

Evan,

I'm a fair caller at best...I put myself (and who ever I'm with) in a position that they have to find me...When they clear brush or stuff in between...They're in range....,,:blush:

Today on the "Best 40" with Jacob, I put out decoys...They went around us like the plague...I mean like 70-90 yds around us...Don't know if it was the snow, decoys, positioning...Just know we should've had a long......:confused:

View attachment 61715
Do you find hunting with decoys is better than without? I figure the decoy gives you a little room for error (movement, mistakes, etc) but people have been killing turkeys a long time without decoys.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Do you find hunting with decoys is better than without? I figure the decoy gives you a little room for error (movement, mistakes, etc) but people have been killing turkeys a long time without decoys.

Every situation is different...With kids, archery, and adults who have little patience or are a squirm worm...Decoys can really help...Plus, it's pretty awesome to watch them come in and dick with the decoys.......:blush:

The terrain you hunt also has a lot to do with decoys...Wide open meadows, I would almost always use them (like yesterday and it didn't work)...Dark forest, oak thickets, and brushy type areas, I never use them...Like today and it worked like a charm........;)

Weather probably plays into this too...Yesterday, cold, snowy, and windy....Today, clear, calm, and brisk...Calls sounds different on a day like today as well...He just knew there was a hen in them woods....:heart_eyes:

Every situation is different...With kids, archery, and adults who have little patience or are a squirm worm...Decoys can really help...Plus, it's pretty awesome to watch them come in and dick with the decoys.......:blush:

The terrain you hunt also has a lot to do with decoys...Wide open meadows, I would almost always use them (like yesterday and it didn't work)...Dark forest, oak thickets, and brushy type areas, I never use them...Like today and it worked like a charm........;)

Weather probably plays into this too...Yesterday, cold, snowy, and windy....Today, clear, calm, and brisk...Calls sounds different on a day like today as well...He just knew there was a hen in them woods....:heart_eyes:
Thanks for the input! I’m trying to get my first bird and have a buddy with a decoy. Just trying to absorb as much info as I can. I appreciate it!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Serious tip here..
Any roads or fence lines next to big open roost trees..may be a open field next to said roost tree? I dunno...damn birds..

I had a old time turkey hunter once tell me, don't go being to proud if the turkey you have been calling for a half hour comes into your set up, likely as not, that just happened to be where he was heading, you calling or not.

Evan,

View attachment 61715
So when you do use them you like a standard 2 hen, 1 Jake setup?

So when you do use them you like a standard 2 hen, 1 Jake setup?

Yes...I have used a laydown hen and feeder along with the jake...To be honest, I have never really had much success with just a hen...Older longbeards see them and in many cases, want them to come to them...They'll gobble like crazy, but get suspicious after a while...It all really depends on the bird, his mood that day, and probably weather.....:sun:

ps...They write books about this kind of stuff......... ;)

Yes...I have used a laydown hen and feeder along with the jake...To be honest, I have never really had much success with just a hen...Older longbeards see them and in many cases, want them to come to them...They'll gobble like crazy, but get suspicious after a while...It all really depends on the bird, his mood that day, and probably weather.....:sun:

ps...They write books about this kind of stuff......... ;)
But then what will we talk about on the forum? :D

I’d take book recommendations as well! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu