Turkey Dog training

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Just brought home a standard poodle mix crossed with Bernese mountain dog. I’m really interested in the idea of a turkey dog and hunting companion.

She’s only 9 weeks but is already potty trained, learning fetch, will sit and is learning to lay down, loves the water also. She’s really doing great. She should grow to about 60+ lbs.

Any tips on how to begin scent training her? In a perfect world, she’ll grow up and find turkeys. In the real world, am I crazy or is this realistic? Never hunted with a dog. Love the idea of it but it’s all new to me.

.EB6048D8-05B2-4C00-A95A-38DF25D34899.jpegC43F8F87-B308-4C3B-8B54-B4C12825A052.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dawnandusk
I'm not a dog breed expert, but the coat looks more like its Poodle mixed with an Australian Shepherd rather than a Bernese Mountain Dog.

Reactions: CLarson757
I'm not a dog breed expert, but the coat looks more like its Poodle mixed with an Australian Shepherd rather than a Bernese Mountain Dog.

everyone asks me that. But I saw her parents and the rest of the litter. She was the only one that looked like this. All the others were black and brown

Turkey dog?....:idea:….Maybe I've been hunting them wrong all these years....:blush:

ps...That coat will be a nightmare…..o_O

Ha, I’ve done a little reading on it. It’s not very common but I know it’s more popular where I’m from in North Carolina. Wether this dog will be good for anything but a family dog is TBD. A hunting companion seems like it would be interesting. I can see having a dog around in the sticks being a challenge also though.

I kinda knew the coat would be a little more work. I had to go with this type of coat because I’m allergic to dogs. My last dog (pitbull) was awesome but I spent 13 great years with her and said the next dog would have a better coat for my allergies.

Reactions: ilovesprig
sum bitch, just when you think you know it all. someone comes along and says Turkey DOG!

sum bitch, just when you think you know it all. someone comes along and says Turkey DOG!

I never even heard of this Type of dog work until my pup found one of my turkey feathers. And the wheels started turning

Ha, I’ve done a little reading on it. It’s not very common but I know it’s more popular where I’m from in North Carolina. Wether this dog will be good for anything but a family dog is TBD. A hunting companion seems like it would be interesting. I can see having a dog around in the sticks being a challenge also though.

I kinda knew the coat would be a little more work. I had to go with this type of coat because I’m allergic to dogs. My last dog (pitbull) was awesome but I spent 13 great years with her and said the next dog would have a better coat for my allergies.
Are you trying to do where the dog flushes the birds then you call them back? I read about this somewhere but haven't heard anyone actually do it. I hear it can be effective in the fall too. Curious to know how it turns out.

Reactions: CLarson757
Are you trying to do where the dog flushes the birds then you call them back? I read about this somewhere but haven't heard anyone actually do it. I hear it can be effective in the fall too. Curious to know how it turns out.

I’m not too sure yet. I want to find some videos of it being done if I can. At the very least I’d like her to scent a flock. Best case scenario she’d flush them out and let me setup, call the birds in while she stays quiet. At least with her coat she’ll be good in the colder weather.

Come on Sprig you’ve heard of this https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/find-train-turkey-dog but we don’t advocate fall turkey hunting. Doubt it would help in the spring

Tom,

Of course, I've have heard of turkey dogs...An OLD trick that eastern fall turkey hunters have used for years, but turkeys in the eastern woods and turkeys in the west are 2 different animals...

And I think you know our stance on shooting fall turkeys in San Diego Co.

Reactions: Ahidog
Don’t know about the mountain dog part, but I’ve heard standard poodles make great duck dogs.

Tom,

Of course, I've have heard of turkey dogs...An OLD trick that eastern fall turkey hunters have used for years, but turkeys in the eastern woods and turkeys in the west are 2 different animals...

And I think you know our stance on shooting fall turkeys in San Diego Co.
Yes I do no fall turkey please people maybe a couple more years of rain and we can again.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Came across a great article this morning about fall Turkey hunting with dogs and remembered this post and thought I'd share!

Came across a great article this morning about fall Turkey hunting with dogs and remembered this post and thought I'd share!

hey man I really appreciate it. Great read and I’m definitely going to try to get to work with her. If I could only find a turkey wing or two....

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu