Turkey Opener 2016

Well, no Cinderella story here, but close.... :D.....My daughter Stefanie was on the gun Saturday. It was also her birthday.....Had 4 toms fly over us at flydown (1 long & 3 jakes).....They hit the ground about 90 yds behind us. Went right to the hens that had flown down about 80 yds to the south of us.....And that was it for the morning.....Came back at about noon and put a visual on a long.....Set-up above him and never heard a peep to any of the calls. Eventually walked away......Then at about 3:30 two jakes come in and just about had a cardiac when they saw my 1 hen feeder.....They turned around about 3 times right in front of us and booked it the opposite direction.....WTF!.....Then it happened....3 jakes come off the hill with 3 or 4 hens and in tow is a big long.....They work their way down the hill right in front like the previous jakes (I had picked up the decoy).....The 3 jakes are walking with the long following the hens. At about 30 yds, I told Stef to take him when she was ready.....Boom.....And he jumps and flys about 45 yds to her right (perfect for me because I was to her right, but no gun) and just walks away as the 2 jakes just stood there......Her 1st miss at turkeys or deer......Felt terrible for her, but it happens to everyone..... :'(

Today was totally different.....2 gobbles a 1/4 mile away and not a bird in the roost from the day before....We moved down to the lonesome gobbler and start to work.....After about an hour we get a pair of thunderous gobbles from the adjacent property.....Here they come.....When we 1st see them all that was visible was their red, white, and blue heads.....They let our another gobble when they see the decoys. They finally walk into the open and it's 2 jakes..... :-[.....I tell Stef maybe she should practice shooting the bigger of the two.....Her comment was...."next year they'll be long beards"..... ;)

MCC at 1:00 pm had taken 6 birds.....3 longs & 3 jakes (3 sat, 3 sun).....My friends who had the opportunity passed on jakes.....Back at it tomorrow.

ps.....Had a great bbq & birthday for Stef at Henshaw cabins Saturday night despite the miss with close friends....Really fun week-end...... 8)

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    665.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    624.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    633.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    737 KB · Views: 38
Well I'll share my epic fail story.. so at dawn I had a gobbler on the roost and we were talking for awhile. After flydown he still gobbled few times to my call but wouldn't commit. Awhile later I see him henned up about 7-800 yds off so I tried to circle around to cut em off before they slip back onto private land. I closed to about 80 yds when they spooked and took off into the brush. I laid chase uphill into the thick stuff and, right when I thought I lost em, I saw the gobbler weaving thru brush at full trot. At about 50 yds was my best/only shot opportunity (still on the run) so I took it, figuring maybe my xtra full choke would be enough to drop him. Nope! He shuddered, flapped his wings and kept moving. I think I was maybe a bit high and behind his head a tad. Sucks but like they say, can't kill anything from your couch. But dang, he was a big boy..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu