Turkey Scouting.

§485. American Crow.
  • (a) Shotgun, Falconry, and Archery Seasons, and Bag and Possession Limits.
    • (1) Season: The first Saturday in December and extending for 124 consecutive days.
    • (2) Daily Bag and Possession Limits
      • Bag Limit: 24 crows per day
      • Possession Limit: double the daily bag limit
    • (3) Area: Statewide: see closure area (d) below
  • (b) Crows may only be taken by shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, bow and arrow, and falconry. The take or attempted take of any crows with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1, Crows may not be hunted from aircraft.
  • (c) No person shall kill or cripple a crow pursuant to this section without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird, and retain it in their actual custody at the place where taken or between that place and either: (1) their automobile or principal means of land transportation; or (2) their personal abode or temporary or transient place of lodging; or (3) a migratory bird preservation facility; or (4) a post office; or (5) a common carrier facility.
  • (d) Crows may not be taken in the following areas:
    • (1) Within the boundaries of the Trinity and Mendocino National Forests south of Highway 36.
    • (2) North and east of a line beginning at the mouth of the Eel River; south along the Eel River to the town of Alton; east on Highway 36 from the town of Alton to Highway 89 west of Chester; south and east on Highways 89 and 395 to Interstate 15 near Hesperia; south on Interstate 15 to Interstate 10; and east on Interstate 10 to the California-Arizona border.
  • (e) See Section 472(d) for the take of American crows causing depredation.
Amendment filed 6/26/15; effective 7/1/15.

[More information on the laws and regulations concerning the take of American Crows (PDF)]
Thank you for bringing the regulations.
Now the next question is, what do we do with the dead crows? I am not planing on eating them. How do we dispose of them? I thought that diging a hole would be ok, but now I am not sure.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Now the next question is, what do we do with the dead crows? I am not planing on eating them. How do we dispose of them? I thought that diging a hole would be ok, but now I am not sure.

Take em to a post office per Section 485(c)(4) of the regs lol.

Trash can....I personally like taking them to wild land (private)….Let other animals eat them.

Ravens are fully protected....Always have been and they're one the deadliest killers of birds & small animals.....Damn smart too.

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200 dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills.

The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

The scientific conclusion was that while all the lookout crows could say "Cah", none could say "Truck."

Sorry had to share my favorite crow joke. Got a few buddies with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200 dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills.

The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

The scientific conclusion was that while all the lookout crows could say "Cah", none could say "Truck."

Sorry had to share my favorite crow joke. Got a few buddies with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I thought that you were being serious....:)

Where are the hens!!!
Most of what we came across were old Toms.

Where are the hens!!!
Most of what we came across were old Toms.
Congradulations you've just completed your Turkey scouting mission objectives, dont tell anyone, not even your mom, this tape will self destruct in 60 seconds.

Last edited:
Congradulations you've just completed your Turkey scouting mission objectives, dont tell anyone, not even your mom, this tape will self destruct in 60 seconds.

Yesterday, I had 2 sets of friends send me pictures from their scouting trips on public....I'll just say, it was a good day of scouting....Birds are on the move....;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu