Turkey vest upgrade

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
So I’d like to upgrade from my cheapo redhead vest this year but there’s a bewildering assortment of vests to choose from.

The alpz vests with the legs seem like an obvious choice besides being pricey. On the other hand I expect they’re pretty heavy.

Some of the ultra lights seem nice with our potential for heat down here but some don’t have seats or a good spot to carry a decoy.

I’d be interested in hearing what you all use and what you like about them.

Can you stuff a turkey in one?? Serious question...I killed a turkey once and that fckr ain't fitting in a bird vest..

Can you stuff a turkey in one?? Serious question...I killed a turkey once and that fckr ain't fitting in a bird vest..
I never have. Mostly it’s been for carrying all the gear and providing a seat. I use the game pouch for folding decoys.

They always like to show legs sticking out in photos but I’m skeptical.

Alpz, have used it for 3 or 4 years love it. Not heavy, plenty of storage, good fit and legs do come in more handy then I thought I would use.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Evan,

I have a bunch of different kinds of vests...What I use the most are my Mossy Oak full vest (pic)...Not expensive, but holds everything I need...Plus, it can carry a turkey lounger sideways...My Knight & Hale Run & Gun (3rd pic)...Light weight, great for walking, and having to set-up in a hurry...Cabela's Tactical Tat'r is probably my best vest and has the most features, including lots of pockets and good pad (Tanner & I both have them on, 2006)...If I could only have one, it would probably be the Cabela's TT'r..... :blush:

ps...The new Sitka vest looked nice yesterday...Might have to try that one (not out till March 1 officially)..... :joy:

.094.JPG102.JPG019.JPGIMG1294_231.jpg

Evan,

I have a bunch of different kinds of vests...What I use the most are my Mossy Oak full vest (pic)...Not expensive, but holds everything I need...Plus, it can carry a turkey lounger sideways...My Knight & Hale Run & Gun (3rd pic)...Light weight, great for walking, and having to set-up in a hurry...Cabela's Tactical Tat'r is probably my best vest and has the most features, including lots of pockets and good pad (Tanner & I both have them on, 2006)...If I could only have one, it would probably be the Cabela's TT'r..... :blush:

ps...The new Sitka vest looked nice yesterday...Might have to try that one (not out till March 1 officially)..... :joy:

.View attachment 53493View attachment 53494View attachment 53495View attachment 53497
Thanks, I’ll research those a bit.

The Sitka did look nice but a little small for me. Maybe they’ll offer larger sizes when they start retailing.

Keep an eye on camofire.com they have lots of turkey vests and gear this time of year..even the alps one with legs was on sale there just a few days ago..I picked up a Hunters Specialty Strut vest off there last season for $26..they normally sell for $60. It has lots of call and gear storage and has a real nice cushion for us more well rounded folks and a real big pouch that looks like it could fit a bird in there..

No...But mine is very old...That looks like a damn nice vest...Detachable cushion is a plus, if you use a turkey lounger...:zzz:

Make sure it's plenty big enough...Vests go over clothes that can get fairly thick on cold morning...Sounds like it has plenty of adjustments....Price is fair... :blush:
X2.. couple years back in Hawaii I picked up an HS Strut turkey vest on clearance but it was an XXL.. thought it'd be way too big and I'd have to give it away but it ended up being a good size once I have my jacket and ghillie on (Larry!). Plus if it has the built in seat like mine, some extra slack is nice for it to sit in.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
No...But mine is very old...That looks like a damn nice vest...Detachable cushion is a plus, if you use a turkey lounger...:zzz:

Make sure it's plenty big enough...Vests go over clothes that can get fairly thick on cold morning...Sounds like it has plenty of adjustments....Price is fair... :blush:
What are your thoughts on the nomad vests?

The one in bottomlands is more than the mossy oak but the one in shadow leaf is the same price. Looks well designed.

Walmart has this mossy oak nwtf edition for only $54. Could that be more like the one you have Steve?

Yes, it is...And to be honest will probably serve you well...See if it offers a detachable cushion...Not a big deal, but important to me.

ps...I think we raffled a couple of those off at the tune-up...They look nice.

Yes, it is...And to be honest will probably serve you well...See if it offers a detachable cushion...Not a big deal, but important to me.

ps...I think we raffled a couple of those off at the tune-up...They look nice.
Awesome. I just ordered one.

Depending on how the seat is attached I may be able to modify it. We’ll see when it arrives on Friday.

This thing is cash! The vest is thoughtfully designed and the cushion is generously thick.

The seat does come off and the game pouch is very large without being poofy. There are gussets on the sides that allow it to be expanded when needed.

For about $50 I consider it an excellent value.

Thanks @ilovesprig for the recommendation!

CAF5EC40-C5C6-4745-B2AD-E3A2BBC0225B.jpegCF1B662E-E7BE-4B67-ABED-1B9BAC9A7757.jpeg1A5C11EA-7E6B-4B83-A325-0E83DAAB4660.jpeg2B41102A-2751-4971-A1D8-2FC4D9B97C4F.jpeg3195C802-A642-4E40-AE8C-F6D1587CAF0A.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu