Bobcats yes, lions probably not. I'm no biologist but I don't think they waste their time with turkeys.. not enough meat for their trouble in chasing em, unlike deer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My friend Randy (DFW) did a study on the depredation of turkeys in Pamo Valley.....17 birds were radioed.....14 hens and 3 toms.....The 1st spring all 14 hens died at the hands of bobcats....All 3 toms lived till their radios died.....My old roomie Jeff and I got one of the toms 4 years later.....Radio was still on him along with the band.

Like most predators, the big cats are opportunists....If they can catch a turkey, I'm sure they do it.....Coyotes do their fair of killing on poults too.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Kyle,

One of the original released hens (from Kansas) that was radioed, traveled 17 miles to lay her eggs (McCaw Ranch to Lake Henshaw)….The original release sites were McCaw ranch near Lake Sutherland, Canta Rana Ranch in Wynola, and Eagle Peak Ranch near Pine Hills.....There's lots of public land near these 3 sites.....Once dispersal starts (normally in March), birds can be anywhere in the east county.....Last year I got calls from places like Valley Center, Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, Vail Lake, Ranchita, and a number of places south of Int. 8.

I suggest attending the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up.....You'll learn a lot about our local hunting areas, calling, and how to turkey hunt in general.....As stated before, we do not encourage fall turkey hunting San Diego Co.

Also, there's a NWTF meeting this next Tuesday, Nov 27th, at the Filippi's Pizza in Poway.....Starts at 6:30 pm.
Kyle,

One of the original released hens (from Kansas) that was radioed, traveled 17 miles to lay her eggs (McCaw Ranch to Lake Henshaw)….The original release sites were McCaw ranch near Lake Sutherland, Canta Rana Ranch in Wynola, and Eagle Peak Ranch near Pine Hills.....There's lots of public land near these 3 sites.....Once dispersal starts (normally in March), birds can be anywhere in the east county.....Last year I got calls from places like Valley Center, Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, Vail Lake, Ranchita, and a number of places south of Int. 8.

I suggest attending the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up.....You'll learn a lot about our local hunting areas, calling, and how to turkey hunt in general.....As stated before, we do not encourage fall turkey hunting San Diego Co.

Also, there's a NWTF meeting this next Tuesday, Nov 27th, at the Filippi's Pizza in Poway.....Starts at 6:30 pm.

That’s awesome info, is there any articles I can read as too turkey in SD as too some biology or history of the introduction of turkey to CNF?

That’s awesome info, is there any articles I can read as too turkey in SD as too some biology or history of the introduction of turkey to CNF?

John Massie is a bundle of turkey knowledge, but has withdrawn from the public eye (NWTF) for awhile now...I can go back in the archives to see if I can I can find anything...Is there something you want to know specifically?

John Massie is a bundle of turkey knowledge, but has withdrawn from the public eye (NWTF) for awhile now...I can go back in the archives to see if I can I can find anything...Is there something you want to know specifically?
Thank you I’d appreciate it, Nothing really specific but just want to learn as much as i can about these birds, I feel I have put in quite some time in the couple years now and still they have me stumped, any info you can dig up would be very cool, any book recommendations if you know any also

Thank you I’d appreciate it, Nothing really specific but just want to learn as much as i can about these birds, I feel I have put in quite some time in the couple years now and still they have me stumped, any info you can dig up would be very cool, any book recommendations if you know any also

If you live in San Diego and would attend a NWTF meeting, I'll give & lend you some good literature.

ps...If you don't live in SD, I can mail you some pretty good stuff...Also, you may want to join NWTF...Real good magazine every 3 months with lots of hunting articles & biology.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu