Utah Elk 2019

Guys, this has been one heck of a week. Between the hot temps Thursday through Sunday last week and the weather fronts this week, it has been a wild ride! I’m here till the end of the season which is tomorrow the 13th.

Woke up this morning with freezing temps and snow on the ground from last night. My hopes as the temps drops last night was that it would get the elk talking. Well it didn’t, sitting a quakie meadow that they use.

I am not an expert at big hoof animals.
Question#1 are they not mating (rut?) So not calling.

We're do they like to hang out this time of year..
Maybe hire a local guide?

Well, I stuck a cow at 2pm, hit her high. Left and right was perfect. Gave her an hour and started tracking.

Cow went straight down the canyon lost blood for few hundred feet and found it again. Def got in to one lung found some bright red foamy blood. Left her blood trail at about half hour to dark. Left quarter sized blood drops every 20 feet or so. I’ll be back at it in the morning.

This kinda stuff happens and it sucks. I can’t say this hunt has been easy, it was my first opportunity and I made a bad shot. I rushed it. She had us pinned then relaxed and walked behind some quakies, I drew she stepped out and continued to move. I beeped her she stopped and I hammered her.

It ain’t over yet !

Stay tuned

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find her in the morning. She’s filling up with blood and won’t make it through the night. Just keep after her. Good luck bro!

Thanks guys,

I’m in my bag, bummin, I got lung, she should be down.

Wish she was facing me I’d have gave her the hatchet special. Cow would have went face first in the dirt!

Hope I can find her tomorrow.

Dont worry about the blog dude..find the cow..all good!

This hunt has been a rough one, it was tough and when I find her I’m in for long day, she ain’t near a road and she’s big.
figured I needed to keep you Girl Scouts in the loop !

Reactions: HATCHET1
It’s freezing up there she will fine. Gonna be a bear getting those rear quarters off though. It’s tough enough when they are not stiff.

It’s all part of this crazy game we play!

the hike out is what will hurt.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu