Very interesting Dove Opener

Shadowlawnskysthelimit

Mar 5, 2021
My nephew and I stayed in the Best Western in Brawley; hunted Thursday, Friday and this morning and headed home. Day 1we hunted with some great friends in Brawley area; early morning we saw Mr. Green Jeans checking hunters nearby and eventually he made his way to us. Wardens name was Austin, super nice and respectful young man. He let everyone around us know that an area nearby had been baited and to keep our distance or we would be cited. He stated that anyone within a 3 mile radius of said baited field could be cited; I never knew the distance was that great ?? Made sense why there were so many dove in this one area when we were out scouting the 27th of August. Warden stated he didn't want to issue tickets to everyone who was not party to the baiting nearby.

After shooting our limits and a few Euros we headed to Wister to scout for upcoming Waterfowl season. Spent most of our time looking at ponded areas due to having a new pup that I want to expose to pond hunting and not just fields which is where I spend most of the season. As one of my buddies tells me Im a Snow Goose Snob ! Spent Thursday checking out most all of the South end of Wister before heading back to hotel for a much needed shower, grub, air conditioning and sleep.

Day 2 hunted same area and it was limits all around with some Euros mixed in. Mr. Green Jeans, was on the baited area at first lite keeping people away from baited fields. Eventually checking everyone in our area and then he heading back to the baited field to meet with Landowner and take pictures of Millet seed that was spread over the fields and most likely write some tickets for $$$$. After cleaning birds we headed back to Wister to finish our pond education. Finished looking around the South and headed North. This is where we hit the jackpot of the weekend !! You Duck hunters are a funny bunch !!

The one and only site on the whole refuge we decided to walk into to look at was a 5 site. As we were walking down the dike my nephew spotted something in the bushes. Turned out to be 7 boxes of shells a group of hunters, you know who you are, stashed in the bushes a good distance from the blind. 1 box of 3-1/2" Hevi Metal 3's was completed broken open and every shell was rusted. The other 6 boxes were a even mix of 3" and 3-1/2" shells with a mix of Kents, Hevi Metals and 1 Winchester. The 3" shells were 3's and 4's and the 3-1/2's were 1 box 3's, 1 box BB's and 1 box of BBB. All other the 7 boxes are good to go, with little or no rust. LMAO !!! Probably end up with approximately $ 200 + dollars in shells. So THANKS to the stashers !!!!!

Day 3 was same as 2 prior days; headed home early ! Great time had by all and great company to boot !!

Heading back down next Saturday for my birthday, going to take the new pup for her first Mourning dove hunt. Ive shot Eurasins over her 3 times before, but its been a month and Im excited to see how she does. Only going to shoot a few hours in the morning and head home to family for Birthday dinner , cake and ice cream.

Hope y'all had as good a time as we did !!!! Hatchet it was epic !!! LOl !!!

This is what dreams are made of right here...the desperation of the dove(baiting)and duck (stashing shells cause they can't shoot)..Shooters....and Green jeans!!! ..all in one!! thanks for posting brother..made my season !! Glad you had a great time !!!..nothing beats being out in the field! Strong work!!!

There was a time long ago that I thought I knew better than mangement about how many shells I could have (I was new and dumb and did not realize that the monitors counted the shots.) Fortunatly I shot better than I thought I could and saw through my foolishness without consequence and later came to learn that a limit was not the goal to enjoy the experience. That was over thirty five years ago and now I look out my windows at home and see dove, turkeys and rabbits and an occasional deer and just enjoy them and let other early on hunters have their chance at them,

3 mile radius from baited field seems crazy. Sure someone knows the law here. I did a quick check and found regs about hunting around baited areas BUT this pertained to resident game birds which didn't include morning doves per the definition of resident game bird.

§257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.​

Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

Interested if someone knows the actual distance required to stay away when hunting doves(morning and whitewing)

CA laws are ambiguous....open to interpretation...they are written this way on purpose... designed to HURT...I love Ca.....stick and move. ...I come back Monday night...God is good!!

Last edited:
The 3 mile thing makes zero sense. As if someone would bait a field then go set up 3 miles away....
Supposedly law enforcement is about reasonableness and knowledge. If you are hunting 1 mile away from a baited field you had no idea about there should be zero issue

Reactions: dhntr48
Duckboy, I thought 3 miles was not correct either, but Austin the young Warden said that the first morning and Warden from 2nd day who has been a regular at Wister for years made that same statement.
The way they stated it was “ if the birds you are shooting are going to or coming from said baited field the 3 mile rule applies.”
Still think 3 miles is excessive if I have no idea what someone did 3 miles away !!
My buddies and I talked about if we had received a citation that I would have fought it and if needed dragged the Landowner and any other responsible party’s into court. If that didn’t work I would be taking it out someone’s arse !!!
Forgot to mention in my post ! This is year 4 of my nephew hunting with me. Day 2 & 3 he limited out before I did ! He was pretty proud to be cleaning his birds while it was relatively cool still ! Lol !!
I told him he can’t be doing that; limiting out before the Teacher !!
Very Proud Uncle !!
Every day we spend in the field or boat is Gods blessing on my life !
Love you Jeremy !!!

Random, but did the baited fields have anything to do with a certain Hunt Club? A few years back they posted some blm land as theirs and got cited. Lol

Interesting the 3 miles law. if hunting in feedlots, is it consider the hunting over bait ? or it is considered different like animal control ?

My nephew and I stayed in the Best Western in Brawley; hunted Thursday, Friday and this morning and headed home. Day 1we hunted with some great friends in Brawley area; early morning we saw Mr. Green Jeans checking hunters nearby and eventually he made his way to us. Wardens name was Austin, super nice and respectful young man. He let everyone around us know that an area nearby had been baited and to keep our distance or we would be cited. He stated that anyone within a 3 mile radius of said baited field could be cited; I never knew the distance was that great ?? Made sense why there were so many dove in this one area when we were out scouting the 27th of August. Warden stated he didn't want to issue tickets to everyone who was not party to the baiting nearby.

After shooting our limits and a few Euros we headed to Wister to scout for upcoming Waterfowl season. Spent most of our time looking at ponded areas due to having a new pup that I want to expose to pond hunting and not just fields which is where I spend most of the season. As one of my buddies tells me Im a Snow Goose Snob ! Spent Thursday checking out most all of the South end of Wister before heading back to hotel for a much needed shower, grub, air conditioning and sleep.

Day 2 hunted same area and it was limits all around with some Euros mixed in. Mr. Green Jeans, was on the baited area at first lite keeping people away from baited fields. Eventually checking everyone in our area and then he heading back to the baited field to meet with Landowner and take pictures of Millet seed that was spread over the fields and most likely write some tickets for $$$$. After cleaning birds we headed back to Wister to finish our pond education. Finished looking around the South and headed North. This is where we hit the jackpot of the weekend !! You Duck hunters are a funny bunch !!

The one and only site on the whole refuge we decided to walk into to look at was a 5 site. As we were walking down the dike my nephew spotted something in the bushes. Turned out to be 7 boxes of shells a group of hunters, you know who you are, stashed in the bushes a good distance from the blind. 1 box of 3-1/2" Hevi Metal 3's was completed broken open and every shell was rusted. The other 6 boxes were a even mix of 3" and 3-1/2" shells with a mix of Kents, Hevi Metals and 1 Winchester. The 3" shells were 3's and 4's and the 3-1/2's were 1 box 3's, 1 box BB's and 1 box of BBB. All other the 7 boxes are good to go, with little or no rust. LMAO !!! Probably end up with approximately $ 200 + dollars in shells. So THANKS to the stashers !!!!!

Day 3 was same as 2 prior days; headed home early ! Great time had by all and great company to boot !!

Heading back down next Saturday for my birthday, going to take the new pup for her first Mourning dove hunt. Ive shot Eurasins over her 3 times before, but its been a month and Im excited to see how she does. Only going to shoot a few hours in the morning and head home to family for Birthday dinner , cake and ice cream.

Hope y'all had as good a time as we did !!!! Hatchet it was epic !!! LOl !!!
Probably 12 years ago hunted opener Az. Without a spot in the morning to hunt..drove a little and found good spot and easily shot our 10 bird limits…then heard voice over loudspeaker saying we were hunting baited field!‍♂️…said all vehicles line up and drive up to Adfg vehicle. So we did opposite and drove away…don’t know if others were ticketed…never did see any grain or anything…
Don’t see how it’s quite worth the risk to shoot a few birds.

• Wow
Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Dove boners are real...so much for the bird of peace ....jeeez....

WisterJunkie, no not part of a hunt club. But this Landowner had specifically planted some type of food 3 years ago to shoot dove over. But is wasnt cut down or harvested leaving food on the ground then. Last year whatever the food was was left fallow and not growing or irrigated; it looked dead for the most part. This year it was still fallow and birds were still using it; but I guess the Landowner thought he would sweeten the pot for the Migrators !! Lol !!
SDHunter, after listening to both Wardens on the baiting I had the same question.
What they said was that “if feed or bait was spread for the express purpose of of attracting birds to shoot then it’s considered baiting. But as in Feedlots the expressed purpose was to feed livestock that inadvertently attracts birds wouldn’t fall under the baiting rules.”
Seems like a real thin line ???
Irvine, I agree seems like a wast of money when you have miles and miles in the valley to as Hatch puts it get your dove boner.
All you have to do is spend the time and fuel to look around and eventually you’ll find them !!
But nowadays with guys who drive their trucks around and around and around pheasant fields till they see one then jump out of the trucks and kill the bird. Baiting fits their bill. They don’t want to do the leg work ! They want it given to them like the other Participation Trophies they have on the shelf !!!

Last edited:
Road Shooting Doves .....waiting until they bunch up as they peck the gravel on the roads to fill there little craws...then KAPOOW!!! Half a limit filled....ammo shortage and all...lordy.

• Haha
Reactions: Creeping Death
I believe that the DFW has the obligation/duty to post that field as baited and no hunting allowed within a certain distance (not 3 miles). The law also used to say no hunting for 30 days after said bait was removed. Don't know how they would do that with a field.
I don't know how they would prove baiting against the land owner if normal ag operation.
Wouldn't the DWU fields be considered baiting then ? Grown to attract doves and hunters ?
I saw several cornfields in August with thousands of white wing eating off the stalks. That's not baiting.
Of course the trend in the valley for the last 10 years or so has been to plow everything under before Sep 1, all hands on deck.
Did anybody see the corn fields that manure was being applied to where they used rental flood lights all around the field to accomplish
the manure spreading ? In 50 years I've never seen such a rush.

Reactions: 2duckhunter4
Where I hunted in AZ. the fields were, 2 cut wheat and 1 sunflower. This is Fed. land, least and planted by private org. with help from donations from members, which I am. I hate AZ. I did check other location on Cal. side which I have hunted in the past. It was also wheat and not posted, as a matter of fact, they put out large barrels for hunters to put hulls in. Not sure where they draw the line. Maybe private people can't bait certain fields, but state can.

Fellas,

It IS a thin line...What the term is, "Area of influence"...So, apparently DFW law enforcement determined the "Area of influence" was 3 miles...Which is crazy...And like has been stated...How would anyone know there's a baited field that far away?...Hell, how would anyone know, if it's 2 miles, 1 mile, or even 400 yards away.

Grain that falls or is knocked off the stalk under normal operation of farming is OK...Putting out bags of wheat or corn is not...Normally, the area surrounding a normal baited area is 400 yds...The grain must be picked up and must be entirely gone...Then 10 days after that, you're allowed to hunt the area.

There was a case many years ago and some of you may remember it (it was in the papers)...A car (train) load of grain was dumped accidently on some railroad tracks...Guys found it and dove shooters were there in force for the opener...My old friend Cal heard the shooting and moved over to the area...The feds & DFG rounded everyone up (there were a lot of guys) and gave them citations...Many of them teamed up and hired an attorney...As, I recall it was beat in court.....:blush:

Kevin,

Sounds like a great week-end...I'll give you a call about Wister........ ;)

Fellas,

It IS a thin line...What the term is, "Area of influence"...So, apparently DFW law enforcement determined the "Area of influence" was 3 miles...Which is crazy...And like has been stated...How would anyone know there's a baited field that far away?...Hell, how would anyone know, if it's 2 miles, 1 mile, or even 400 yards away.

Grain that falls or is knocked off the stalk under normal operation of farming is OK...Putting out bags of wheat or corn is not...Normally, the area surrounding a normal baited area is 400 yds...The grain must be picked up and must be entirely gone...Then 10 days after that, you're allowed to hunt the area.

There was a case many years ago and some of you may remember it (it was in the papers)...A car (train) load of grain was dumped accidently on some railroad tracks...Guys found it and dove shooters were there in force for the opener...My old friend Cal heard the shooting and moved over to the area...The feds & DFG rounded everyone up (there were a lot of guys) and gave them citations...Many of them teamed up and hired an attorney...As, I recall it was beat in court.....:blush:

Kevin,

Sounds like a great week-end...I'll give you a call about Wister........ ;)
I think the same law applies to guzzlers, 400 yards. Once again how would you know if it's a new area to you and there are no signs advising of guzzlers. And yes normal grain falling from stock is far different than spreading grain in given area for the purpose of later hunting it. I have always had issues with baiting of any kind.

I think the same law applies to guzzlers, 400 yards. Once again how would you know if it's a new area to you and there are no signs advising of guzzlers. And yes normal grain falling from stock is far different than spreading grain in given area for the purpose of later hunting it. I have always had issues with baiting of any kind.

John....200yds

.Under the provision of CCR T14 Section 730(c) the following prohibitions are established: (1) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within 200 yards of the following: (A) Any guzzler or horizontal well for wildlife on public land within the State of California.

“Hunting for more than 30 minutes within 200 yards of a guzzler is prohibited.”

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu