WARNING - Traditions Nitrofire

White Smoke

Black powder rules!
May 2, 2011
Encinitas, CA
A friend just bought one of the new Traditions Nitrofire muzzleloaders and asked me what I thought of it. I hadn't heard of it and when he described how it worked, I was HIGHLY skeptical. I am NOT a lawyer, but I am pretty familiar with California laws, so I did some research and found out this system is not legal in California, or in many other states, if any. The ignition system, while ingenious and a great idea, does not meet the definition of a muzzleloader. The law here in California, and most other states, requires that the rifle be loaded from the muzzle. In a muzzleloader, the load means the powder AND the bullet, not just the bullet. Since the Nitrofire loads the bullet from the muzzle and the powder from the breech, it does not meet the definition of a muzzleloader. Like I said earlier, I am NOT an attorney, but I would think twice before I purchased one of these, at least until a full legal opinion is obtained and the system is approved by DFW. Personally, I like the idea, but I'm betting against any approval.

Just my quick reaction is that this just seems wrong. A muzzle loader is not a breach loader, you might as well just load a brass shell with blackpowder.

Its designed to hurt.
I get it and understand the March of technology. At the end of the day with muzzle loaders I personally fall in the more traditional end of the spectrum. I think historically that is why there is a separate season, just my personal preference.

That's 14 states where IN THEIR OPINION, the weapon is legal. You'd better double and triple-check with someone with knowledge in the state you want to hunt if it's legal or not. It's your ass that's going to get the ticket and "They said it was legal!" ain't gonna cut it.

Turns out the NitroFire MAY be legal in Kalifornication after all. A DFW Captain friend of mine and I discussed the way the law is written and it does say the projectile has to go in from the front, but is mute about the powder. He says it's legal. I did contact the DFW in Sacto and asked for a clarification but haven't heard back as yet. As soon as I do, I'll post the response here.

Here's the reply...
Hi Mr. Barber:

I did some checking within the Law Enforcement Division of the Department. Basically, we believe your interpretation is correct… the bullet and the powder/charge must both be loaded from the muzzle. This would be for the take of big game mammals. As such, we do not think the use of a “NitroFire” muzzleloader would be legal for the take of big game in CA.

Thank you for asking.

Liz Orme

California Department of Fish & Wildlife

Law Enforcement Division

(916) 717-9064

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu