Watch where you step...

Ive stepped on one years ago… a baby one, with one rattle. He didn’t make a sound until I was standing on top of his head. Heard the little rattle, looked down to realize I had his head pinned under my boot. My first reaction was to move my foot….. BIG MISTAKE. When I did, like lighting speed, he tagged the front of my boot. Lucky it was a baby, He didn’t pierce the leather but left two fang marks on the toe of my boot.

Couple years later during Archery, had a 5 footer, fat Timbler Rattler lunge at me from 6ft away! Striking my bow that I was holding on the side he struck luckily. Both instances they never made a sound and they blend in good! Im more cautious about where I step now for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stikbrandon
looks like it was still cold enough to keep him still, once in the desert i stepped over this beautiful orange horned rattler, same thing it had worked its way into the sun and was heating up.
I help it out with the muzzle flash from a 20 gauge

1635686843325.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate rattling type snakes!....I do leave them be, if I'm out in the middle nowhere, without my dog.

ps...How good is that camo on that guy?

Years ago a buddy and I decided to hike to the top of the Verdugo Mountains to see the LA city lights on a hot summer night . Up towards the summit , we saw a large blob in the middle of the fire road , looked like a super large cow patty . We kept away from it and went to the top of the hill . On our way back down we saw the big blob again in the same spot . From about 15 feet away I threw a quarter size stone at it and scored a hit . Like a coiled spring it went into the air , Hissing , a rattle like a buzz saw . Not only that , that big snake came after me , I started to run down the fire road in the dark with my buddy , and that giant snake was right behind us . I kept saying out loud don't fall , don't fall . It was chasing us for 200 feet or so , i looked back during the run and could see it right on our ass , I mean ten or 12 feet behind us , the mouth was open , the hissing was intense. I did not know a snake could move that fast . We heard it slow and give up the pursuit , turned around to to see the brute turn left and head into the bushes . All the while breathing and hissing hard . What sticks in my mind was how long this snake was !

• Wow
Reactions: Smokey58 and YETI
I hunt in ground blinds often , One day I heard a noise behind me to the right . Birds , chipmunks ,lizards , all make certain sounds in the brush as they move about . The sounds I was hearing behind me I just could not place them . Although I kept looking over my shoulder , the sounds they got closer and closer . I looked again and I saw a 4 foot rattler coming right at me , just a slow sneak he was about 6 feet away . I guess a pit viper can sense heat , and in my 3 hours in the blind I must have got his attention .

Years ago a buddy and I decided to hike to the top of the Verdugo Mountains to see the LA city lights on a hot summer night . Up towards the summit , we saw a large blob in the middle of the fire road , looked like a super large cow patty . We kept away from it and went to the top of the hill . On our way back down we saw the big blob again in the same spot . From about 15 feet away I threw a quarter size stone at it and scored a hit . Like a coiled spring it went into the air , Hissing , a rattle like a buzz saw . Not only that , that big snake came after me , I started to run down the fire road in the dark with my buddy , and that giant snake was right behind us . I kept saying out loud don't fall , don't fall . It was chasing us for 200 feet or so , i looked back during the run and could see it right on our ass , I mean ten or 12 feet behind us , the mouth was open , the hissing was intense. I did not know a snake could move that fast . We heard it slow and give up the pursuit , turned around to to see the brute turn left and head into the bushes . All the while breathing and hissing hard . What sticks in my mind was how long this snake was !
must have been smoking some good stuff

must have been smoking some good stuff
I have had the experience of having southern pacific rattlesnakes challenge and come at me. I live in the back country and keep snake tongs close as I have dog training facility where I use the open areas on my property to handle dogs. More than once I have grabbed a southern with tongs and let them go when they fought and had them come straight at me. Make no mistake some southern pacific rattlesnakes will stand their ground and become aggressive and attack when agitated. The bigger older models seem more prone to this behavior from my experience This is why I tell folks just go around them and don't interact when you come upon one. We're the aliens this is their turf.

Reactions: dhntr48
I caught this one next to my garage. Let him go miles away from my house in the middle of nowhere. I was wearing snake gaters and I have snake tongs. My wife was also watching me with a loaded 1187 in case things went side ways.

John

Attachments

• Rattlesnake.jpg
    Rattlesnake.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 20
I caught this one next to my garage. Let him go miles away from my house in the middle of nowhere. I was wearing snake gaters and I have snake tongs. My wife was also watching me with a loaded 1187 in case things went side ways.

John

Was she going to shoot YOU....Just in case, you got hit...................... :joy:

ttrose with the colder weather, snakes will be gone till spring . But regardless I have this habit of always looking were I step or put my hands when in the outdoors . I also had a girl friend that got bit by a rattle snake hiking down Switzers canyon to the water falls, she told me all about her ordeal .

ttrose with the colder weather, snakes will be gone till spring . But regardless I have this habit of always looking were I step or put my hands when in the outdoors . I also had a girl friend that got bit by a rattle snake hiking down Switzers canyon to the water falls, she told me all about her ordeal .
Don't count on the snakes going away for the winter especially with the La Nina we are looking at for this season (mild winter) Good rule of thumb - if you are seeing lizards the snakes are out.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu