Welcome Newbies!

Welcome.
Have you looked into the Hunter safety classes. After that you can start researching tags and hunts or hunts and tags.
Yes, I hunted last year with a riffle and I felt derived because it was too short lol. I work Monday through Saturday. So I could only Sundays and that was not enough. Traded one of my riffles for a bow.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lungpopper
Hello everyone,
I just picked up a used mathews z7 bow. And I was wondering what em I looking at in terms of getting ready for hunting with it? Like what do I need? I know I have to get it tuned to me. Iam in Socal Anaheim.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Leonard, welcome! There’s an archery shop in Fullerton call Hi tec archery. Good guys that know their stuff. The key is getting the bow set up for you, and shooting it the way you like it. I would recommend at least a four pin sight, and maybe a whisker biscuit. Some people like them and some people don’t. Everything on your bow is personal preference. Like sprig said, practice practice practice! I bought myself a block target and took it to the hills and mountains practicing at just about every angle I could. When the wind is up, that’ll be the next challenge.

Also, make sure to get quality arrow shafts, and at least a dozen. I typically used 100 grain field points and broadheads. You may like lighter or heavier. Also, and again this is preference, get fletching you can see easily. If you miss your target or the arrow goes through it, it’s nice to be able to retrieve it (hoping it’s not busted).

That’s it for my two cents.

I have rifle hunted Elk for the last twenty plus years. This last year was my first year to also hunt Mule Deer, both the Elk and Mule Deer have been exclusively hunted in Colorado. I also hunted Cous deer in Arizona this last season as well.
My brother-in-law and I have been applying in a majority of the Western states for Elk, Deer, Pronghorn for the last several years. No luck other than Colorado so far.
Additionally I archery hunted Elk this last year for the first time and harvested a decent 5X5 Bull also on Colorado, beginners luck I guess!

Liddy

I have rifle hunted Elk for the last twenty plus years. This last year was my first year to also hunt Mule Deer, both the Elk and Mule Deer have been exclusively hunted in Colorado. I also hunted Cous deer in Arizona this last season as well.
My brother-in-law and I have been applying in a majority of the Western states for Elk, Deer, Pronghorn for the last several years. No luck other than Colorado so far.
Additionally I archery hunted Elk this last year for the first time and harvested a decent 5X5 Bull also on Colorado, beginners luck I guess!

Liddy

Liddy,

We like pix here on SCH... ;)

ps...You need to try turkey hunting...:heart:

Hi y'all, just stumbling upon this awesome site while looking for turkey hunting pointers near San Diego, CNF area. Haven't hunted since I was a kid. Getting really excited to get back into it and open to any and all pointers and advice...or to tag along and learn if anyone is looking for company.
Cheers,
Scott

Hi y'all, just stumbling upon this awesome site while looking for turkey hunting pointers near San Diego, CNF area. Haven't hunted since I was a kid. Getting really excited to get back into it and open to any and all pointers and advice...or to tag along and learn if anyone is looking for company.
Cheers,
Scott

Scott,

Welcome to SCH...You may want to try and attend a NWTF monthly meeting...4th Tuesday of each month...April 27th at Filippi's Pizza in Poway....Starts at 6:00 pm.

Scott,

Welcome to SCH...You may want to try and attend a NWTF monthly meeting...4th Tuesday of each month...April 27th at Filippi's Pizza in Poway....Starts at 6:00 pm.
Steve, do folks eat during the meeting? I love Filippi's pizza.

Hey everybody! Looking for a southern CA duck hunting club. Moved down from northern CA (near Silicon Valley) about 18 months ago, and have been hunting in a club in the north grasslands (Gustine), but it's a 5 hour drive from Laguna Niguel where I live, and while I love the guys in that club and the shooting is great, the drive certainly limits the number of days I hunted last season. I've heard of the Ramona club, and wondered if there are others in that area or out near Canyon Lake. Any ideas or guidance from anyone?

A-28,

Mystic Lake Duck Club, Little Ramona Duck Club, and possibly 4 Winds are all near Ramona Duck Club...Mystic is super pricey, Little Ramona I think is full, and 4 Winds has some openings I heard.

Out near the Salton Sea there's a number of clubs, including Bloody Ducks, Wilderness Unlimited, Imperial, Millionaire, and a host of others....Think you need to take a drive and see them in person.

ps...OnX Hunt shows clubs

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu