What did you shoot your first deer with ? I shot my first deer with a.

Ruger M77 with a mannlicher stock in .243. Absolute tack driver.

Got it from my grandpa many years ago. I have some bad ass guns, but this is one of the few that I couldn’t replace. Can’t wait for the day I get to pass it down.52E09479-F421-4D3B-8972-98CE20B4A28F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruger M77 with a mannlicher stock in .243. Absolute tack driver.

Got it from my grandpa many years ago. I have some bad ass guns, but this is one of the few that I couldn’t replace. Can’t wait for the day I get to pass it down.

That thing is rad!

First deer: Ruger M77 mkii in 30-06. My first rifle. Still have it. Unfortunately, I didn't see the spikes until I got to it. I thought I was filling my G13 tag. Couldn't put my d16 tag on it, either. Warden confiscated it, and wrote me a ticket. Oh well. I believe that was in 2003.

First legal deer: 2005 Mathews Switchback. Shot a forky on opening day of A22 2005. Got another forky in December of that year. Shot a doe with it 2 seasons ago. Will hunt D16 with it again this year.

First deer: Ruger M77 mkii in 30-06. My first rifle. Still have it. Unfortunately, I didn't see the spikes until I got to it. I thought I was filling my G13 tag. Couldn't put my d16 tag on it, either. Warden confiscated it, and wrote me a ticket. Oh well. I believe that was in 2003.

First legal deer: 2005 Mathews Switchback. Shot a forky on opening day of A22 2005. Got another forky in December of that year. Shot a doe with it 2 seasons ago. Will hunt D16 with it again this year.

One of the dumbest laws ever....2 tags and the buck is a tweener....:confused:

Reactions: TRICER
40 years ago in Arizona, w/G'pa's 8mm Mauser he brought back from GE and sporterized.

FF 30 years after a busy military stint, got back out and took a few more in SOCAL with it. Now knocking em down in D16 with Rem 7mm mag. Also hoping after 2 years with an A22 tag, my bowtech Reign will get broke in! They say 3 is a charm!

Reactions: Kellendv
Damn Steve, Waiting for and looking at your photo's is like craving something illegal I used to do. Just publish it all now and lets us enjoy it before I die .I'm Jone'sing for the next photo.. Classic stuff, these photo's belong in a national publication celebrating the traditional old way. Kudo's to you for that and your Dad and Grandpa. You were able to experience something that pretty much does not exist anymore. Warning to all others.. this is what you need to fight for, no B.S if you want this heritage to continue.

Damn Steve, Waiting for and looking at your photo's is like craving something illegal I used to do. Just publish it all now and lets us enjoy it before I die .I'm Jone'sing for the next photo.. Classic stuff, these photo's belong in a national publication celebrating the traditional old way. Kudo's to you for that and your Dad and Grandpa. You were able to experience something that pretty much does not exist anymore. Warning to all others.. this is what you need to fight for, no B.S if you want this heritage to continue.
Amen brother

My first with a bow (From the Ground, G5 Montec, Maxima Reds)... was this "sporkie" (2 points on one side 1 point on the other) he was my third deer ever, in 2017. (I had only just started this pursuit in 2014)

I almost got a barely legal forkie in 2018, but he "ducked the string" and the arrow went over his back by probably a couple centimeters. His footing stumbled a little on the slope of the terrain so I at first got excited assuming I'd hit him. Was soo upset when I figured out he'd managed to duck it. Only other shot opportunity I was gonna have, involved shooting thru a bush. Gave it a try. Obviously didn't work. And DANG that lil young one ran off with some serious speed!

I made sure to snap a selfie with my face in it so the haters couldn't claim I just snatched the pic from somewhere else.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu