WHAT DO YOU HUNT WITH????????

Do you hunt with a rifle, bow or both?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shot gun and bow. But I just pulled out an old Rem700 in 7mm that I had in the safe and dropped it off at Fine Firearms.they went through the whole thing and cleaned it up and the Ceracoated it, and I picked up a used Bell and Carlson stock and I sent it to Island Firearms in Kodiak and they color coated and webed it. With some help from John(NBK) at Fine Firearms we got it back together and mounted the scope with S&K bases and rings. It turned out better then I ever dreamed. So I may spend a little time in the woods with it in a few weeks. I will get some pics of it up here when I take a photo that I like. None of my photos do it justice. It really looks a thousand times better then my pics.

Gonna try and do strickly bow this season but will have my springfield 30-06 with me, my grandpas gun, during D-16 and west texas hunt, just in case I need to reach out a little farther.
Almost forgot the muzzleloader but haven't had it out in a few years.

I hunt with bow, rifle, and sometimes shotgun with slug barrel setup when hunting certain areas at Pendleton. I have found myself carrying my rifle less over the past few years.

Lungpopper said:
Trying to get an idea of what you guys are hunting with.

Uh oh, did I start something??

Bow for big game. Shotgun for the birds although Millbro will tell you I've been toying with the idea of bringing a longbow with flu flu's next dove opener......

I prefer to always hunt with my bow however I use rifle season as a mental break from the bow. I also feel I have a way better chance at shooting a big buck with it.

Breacher.......... You know you can't close the lid on a can of worms.

I have a huge bear I got in 2001. My only regret is that I got him with my 30-06 at 50 yards. Every time someone comes over and sees him for the first time they say “ Holy Cow ! You shot that with your bow? “ and I reply , “No, with a rifle” Their reply (let-down) “Oh”
I haven't opened my gun safe since 2002 except to loan one out or target shoot a few times. It was just a personal choice to make that commitment to the discipline of archery. And I enjoy deer hunting so much I want it to last all 4 months. Rifle season is to short. I think there is just something magical about sending a stick with wings through the air and poking a fatal hole in a deer sized animal. I’m still amazed every time I see it.

No disrespect to anyone hunting with a rifle. There is no need to defend yourself, because you’re not being attacked. We are all brothers and I’ll fight for all of our rights when the day comes, and that day is near.

Jim - You should be proud of your bear regardless of what you used to dispatch it. ::)

Snake Charmer said:
Shafts or slugs, it doesnt matter, what is important is that we are all out there in pursuit of our passion, above all that the most important thing is to pass it on...

I think SnakeCharmer has said it best.

I agree with snakecharmer. He nailed it down to the core! ;) ;) I hunt both, rifle and bow. I love doing it with both too. 8)

I would hunt with a slingshot if I had to! ;D

I admit being down on rifles for a period of time. Most of it was caused by the way that I was trying to hunt with it. Little did I realize until last season that the feeling of success felt equal to me so as long as I put in the effort to make it challenging. Now, I look forward to getting out of the stand when and if I want to.

Archery hunting can be like fishing without getting a bite for months around here! Yes, the feeling of harvesting a big game animal with a bow is awesome and unlike anything most people will experience in life. Now, I like it all! Heck, I wouldn't even mind adding a muzzle loader here in the near future.

Spear hunting, that would be a challenge. I have read a bit about it, There is a small following that does hunt this way. I read great story about a fellow who went to Africa and took some significant game with it. He would use a stand over water holes and stick em when they came for a drink. Dont think its legal in Ca, anyone know?

Snake Charmer said:
Spear hunting, that would be a challenge. I have read a bit about it, There is a small following that does hunt this way. I read great story about a fellow who went to Africa and took some significant game with it. He would use a stand over water holes and stick em when they came for a drink. Dont think its legal in Ca, anyone know?

Without doing any research I'd assume its not legal and I say that only because of the liberal state we live it.

*Update*

I just did a search and found this on a spear hunting website and they say the following about California.

"There is no direct reference in the Code to use of an atlatl. But essentially, the atlatl would be considered a spear. Hunting opportunities in this state with a spear (atlatl) are limited. No big or small game species could legally be taken with one. However, animals that are classified as "non-game" species could be (coyotes, rodents, opossum, etc)."

I look at the DFG website under method of take and couldn't find anything that says you can't but I also couldn't find anything that says you can......

oneazbowhunter said:
im thinking about switching over to a spear
You would prob still kill monster 4x4's. In fact if you kill a Buckzilla with a spear then Im giving up hunting, selling everything and moving to AZ to carry your spears for ya. ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu