What type of dog is ideal for so cal hunting?

Larry Cochran

Utah Buck 2010
Jan 8, 2011
Alpine, Ca
When picking out a new dog to hunt with, what do you look for? If you hunted duck, dove and quail, what is the best dog for you? I have had labs before and an English setter and both were ok in the field but is one particular dog breed better than the others out there?

Let me know,
Larry C.

Dieter Tin Tin1.jpg Loaded question - ;D

Small Munsterlander. They naturally track, point and retrieve. Great personalities, lots of energy, great family dogs and they are animal tracking and bird hunting machines!

I agree it is a loaded question. I know everyone is going to have there favorite in mind. I am glad you mentioned your Small Munsterlander. That is a breed that I have not heard of before and I will have to look that one up. Thank you for your opinion.

Thanks,
Larry C.

I concur with NBK. Small munsterlanders are tops if you want a high performing dog for both waterfowl and upland game.

As I am mostly a quail hunter. I like the high energy and resistance to heat exhaustion of the german short hair pointer. My shorthair does extremely well in San Diego's warm climate, thick chaparral brush and rugged terrain. His nose is amazing!!! We rarely loose a crippled bird. That said, he doesn't do well in a duck blind or bird retrieval duty at the dove opener. He's too impatient. All he wants to do is point, flush and retrieve then immediately move to the next bird.

I am a big fan of the short-hairs and the wired-hairs for that matter. Both are tenacious bird dogs and an excellent choice when looking for a NAVHDA type dog.

When I was looking for a bird dog, I went to a NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) facility and watched the different dogs work. I came across a trainer who raised Small Munsterlanders but also had the German wired hair and short hair pointers. She had poodle pointers and Korthals Griffon's as well. We fell in love with the Small Munsterlanders.

P1010050.JPG
Couldn't help myself...needed to show off one of my group photo's. All in a days work for my Dieter! ;)

Reactions: Jdub760
Yes...hunting with my friend in Alberta. My friend Jeff, Robert and I have a full setup there. Decoys, blinds and a trailer. Robert lives there.

Could be, do you need another San Diego Deer hunting partner? ;D

There are a lot of great versatile breeds out there, If you are interested in pointing dogs I suggest you get involved with the north american versatile hunting dog association, Its a great group of people and are very helpful we have a local chapter here in San Diego. Also fell free to call us up here at High On Kennels 760 782 0728 and we'll tell you what we are seeing in the way of dogs here locally and can put you onto some great breeders. Birds dogs are what we eat sleep and breath

Snake Charmer said:
There are a lot of great versatile breeds out there, If you are interested in pointing dogs I suggest you get involved with the north american versatile hunting dog association, Its a great group of people and are very helpful we have a local chapter here in San Diego. Also fell free to call us up here at High On Kennels 760 782 0728 and we'll tell you what we are seeing in the way of dogs here locally and can put you onto some great breeders. Birds dogs are what we eat sleep and breath
Hey guys I have a German short hair I can't get to listen to me, he's ok till we get outside then he's gone. I don't know if it's me or if he has selective hearing any help or info would be greatly appreciated thanks
P.S. He's 3.5 years old

Shorthairs can be wild, We train a lot of them and for the most part they are great gun dogs but require a bit of taming and maturity to become good family members and companions. It's selective on the dog's part, it's important to build this come back relationship early on in the bonding process, if not it becomes much more challenging, Fear not it may be solvable depending on the personality of the dog. 3.5 is old (old dog /new tricks thing) call us on the land line and talk to my wife Tracy, She can give you some idea's on how to fix it. 760 782 0728

in a few easy steps we can fix this problem for you HuntnTime. first step is drive way far away from home and drop the dog off. This way he will not find his way home, make sure any tags or chips are removed or like herpes he will pop up. Now on your way home stop and get a lab in the black color. The other labs are for show and can not hunt. now follow a training video like fowldogs and you will have a great dog.

ok just kidding but only kinda just kidding. seek out a pro and follow what they say. a short time with a pro and a program you follow will fix your pup up in no time but it takes work year round. I work my dog at least 3 times a week in the field during the off season and constantly around the house.

A dogs knowledge and its ability to work with a human when hunting is like playing the piano or shooting a shotgun it is a perishable skill, its important to keep your dog current on its training especially during the first few years of life, Its been my experience that if you stay on the training for the first 3-4 years it becomes less important as they mature. conversely if you dont train hard and steady while they are in their youth you will almost never get what you want later on (old dog new tricks thing) We as trainers see this all the time, people love their puppy so much they dont want to give it up for training until its starts to become a behaviorial problem then they bring them to us and expect them to be reprogrammed like you would a digital device. bottom line a dog is a huge time and emotional investment I personally dont own a dog because my time is challenged with many things to do (my wife has three currently and expanding)

Here is a great thread that's worth re-opening, from awhile back. Fred's comments on breeds and training, and the points about NAVHDA, are really interesting.
Watching as MJB has introduced jagd terriers locally, and having seen them work in the field, they certainly deserve a mention here.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu