Wister Blinds

This was my son's last youth hunt. Hunted the site the Saturday prior and the pond was completely full. Walked out the next week to A River Runs Through It.

.IMG_0282.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chessie
Those 2 spots that were available at the BD club are looking pretty good right now. I'm sure the went quick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: duck-boy
Soooo. Maybe a stupid question but will they let guys choose blinds with no water? Will it be clear that morning where the water is? And where it’s dry?

Soooo. Maybe a stupid question but will they let guys choose blinds with no water? Will it be clear that morning where the water is? And where it’s dry?

I believe they will let you pick any blind you want regardless of what they know about the water situation. Perhaps this year will be different.

Wister is a different animal than San Jacinto. Generally you make your picks on your own . As it should be in my opinion . Tom is super helpful at San Jac, but his wildlife area is much smaller with half the blinds . A third of Wister was filled and all sites were huntable. I HAVE had a dry site at Wister Opening morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chessie
From Scott Sewell.......I would like to thank you all for your support and I appreciate the feedback. First off, Hwy 111 is open and there is access from the north and south. As many you know we have been faced with challenges at IWA and as I have said before “we will overcome them”. Even with Wister being 80-85% full we are still higher than the majority of WLA’s in the State in the flooding to acreage ratio. The ponds that are filling will provide new habitat and forage for the coming months. Social media has not accurately described our current position and forecast. Wister does have vegetation management issues but overall is looking good and will be ready for the season. Some of the comments made are simply inaccurate. We have very hard-working employees that are doing the best they can. I currently have a smaller crew than usual, but I have just hired 2 new FWT, I still have 1 FWT out on leave, I will be hiring a new WHS1, and I will be hiring a new seasonal or two. We will rebuild and will be stronger. Thank you for your support and good luck this weekend and season. Wetland Units 514 ponded 513 ponded 413 East ponded 413 West 1&2 ponded 3 finishing 4 filling 312 A &B ponded C filling 115 A, B & C ponded 114 A &B ponded Y15 A ponded B 2&3 ponded 1 filling Y16 A 1&2 ponded B ponded W11 A reservoir ponded B 1&3 ponded W11 D 2 &4 ponded, 1&3 dry and will fill, 5 filling U10 ponded U12 ponded with 1 filling U14 2,3,4&5 filling T10 water ordered for Green feed 2&4 T10 1,3&5 will pond after Green feed T12 ponded T14 2,3,4&5 filling S20 ponded S22 2&4 filling Hazards all ponded Green Feed Fields 413 dry wheat 312 A Dry wheat 115 B 2&4 Rye irrigated U10 2&4 Rye irrigated S20 2&4 Rye water ordered T10 2&4 Millet water ordered Y14 1st Rye, prepping the next phase

Reactions: Nimrod
Helpful! Thanks for posting! Any idea if they will have this info on the map?

I have a map with all coordinates of parking lots at home...I also used to do a map that showed which ponds had water, which ponds were huntable, and which ponds had what as far as food & cover (depth of water as well).

I don't imagine anyone is doing that these days.
Steve,
Your info was the bomb! It made a big difference for us on more than one opener! Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort to do that...

Reactions: ilovesprig
Steve,
Your info was the bomb! It made a big difference for us on more than one opener! Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort to do that...

Thanks Mark...I'm hoping whoever Scott hires as the new Supp l will reach out to the public for help...Wister needs heart & soul to survive or get back to it's once greatness...Staffing is hard to get out there, money for repairs, and equipment is needed badly.

ps...I know Scott and others from DFW watch these forums...Please consider Ryan from San J as the Supp l...This kid busts his a$$ and the hunters love him...Plus, his girlfriend works at Wister... ;)

Helpful! Thanks for posting! Any idea if they will have this info on the map?
When I asked this question the other day, these are the answers I received:

I believe they will let you pick any blind you want regardless of what they know about the water situation. Perhaps this year will be different.

Wister is a different animal than San Jacinto. Generally you make your picks on your own . As it should be in my opinion . Tom is super helpful at San Jac, but his wildlife area is much smaller with half the blinds . A third of Wister was filled and all sites were huntable. I HAVE had a dry site at Wister Opening morning

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu