You gotta be kidding me

skinnyjimmy

Mar 9, 2013
My son and I went back out to a little spot following the opener where we had the birds roosted 150yds away. I was only able to hunt til 9am due to work duty. The birds never came in last week so we hit it again thinking our chances should be favorable knowing where they roost.
Timing is great after mile and half walk in. We sit down and start to settle in. Putt, putt, putt, gobbles and son of Maria, the damn birds are roosted above us. They pitch out before grey light.
Nothing is a sure thing with these birds.
I sure hope we can get back on em and knowing its public anything can happen.
We waited 2 hours before any calling. They were gone.

Owl hoots work for sure, up here when I let hunters on when it was good I would watch them roost at night and set the hunters up in the morning when they showed up. I also did what Steve suggested and would either let out a shock call or my version of a gobble (Lugga, Lugga lugga) before daylight and then direct them to where geographicaly I thought they would go.

P.s. Heard a few the other morning I hope thay are coming back..

• Love
Reactions: ilovesprig
I miss the walk in the dark a heading towards their roost Finding a big tree
And waiting for day break. And listening
To their locating calls. Good ol days.
I should of spoke about the turkey hunters
Chasing turkeys all over the place.
And pissing off the turkeys.
Then gone.

Bummer....Hence, why I owl hoot, before getting too close to a roost area.

Did that on my way in last year, no gobbles and I setup on a tree with birds. Blew them out, but the gobblers hung tight in another tree about 40 yards away. Once fly down hit they followed whatever I blew out of the tree, it makes me think they were hens.

Thank you gents, I've seen it twice now that once I roost the birdsnight before, they moved trees. Any of ya all experience this.
And I toot my hoot from now on

They can and will fly out of a try at night, if disturbed...Not very common though.

Like everyone else that's hunted turkeys much, I've bumped birds off the roost or set-up next to them...99% of the time, it's hens...Coyote yelper or peacock calls work great, if you're far enough away.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu