Youth turkey season

Excited to introduce my son to turkey hunting. I am new to the process as well. Do we need a tag? Best I can tell, we are good to go with hunting licenses and Upland Game validations. Haven't been able to find a clear definitive answer to that. we are in San Diego County.

Excited to introduce my son to turkey hunting. I am new to the process as well. Do we need a tag? Best I can tell, we are good to go with hunting licenses and Upland Game validations. Haven't been able to find a clear definitive answer to that. we are in San Diego County.
YOU ARE CORRECT
NO TAG NEEDED FOR TURKEY...

Reactions: Dominic06

Your youth hunter does not need an upland validation, if he or she has junior license...Sense you're just starting out...There's a couple other things you should know.

You can NOT shoot (rifle, shotgun, or bow) within 150 yds of any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn without written permission from the landowner...Make sure the gun has a plug...No more than 3 shells total.

Use your OnX Maps app, if you have it...If not, get a Cleveland NF map...Land has to be fenced , cultivated, or posted (3 to the mile) to be legal for private property...OnX will confirm where you're at...Don't chance it, if you're not sure.

Turkeys to be legal, MUST have a visible beard...Some hens have beards, just like as some toms don't...The hen is legal (although we discourage it when they're laying eggs), the tom is NOT...Do NOT shoot birds out of a roost tree at dark thirty!

Shoot time for turkeys is, 1/2 hour before legal sunrise (6:24 am) and 5:00 pm...

Adults can NOT carry a gun or bow on the youth hunt days...You CAN legally carry a sidearm.

Shotshells MUST be NON-LEAD...No lead, including copper or zinc plated lead or shells like Federal 3rd Degree...Which is a mix of lead, copper, and TSS...Your choices are steel (not a good choice), bismuth, Hevi-Shot, or TSS (tungsten).

If you use decoys on public lands, do NOT use a tom/jake decoy...If you feel inclined to do so...Cut the beard off...Always carry your decoys in a bag (good idea with dead bird too).

Lastly, do NOT wear red, white or blue (same color as a gobblers head)...Do wear full camo including hands & face (careful with white socks)...If someone walks up on you, do NOT wave your arms...Yell or shout...Always, if possible, have a large tree at your back.

Good luck

Your youth hunter does not need an upland validation, if he or she has junior license...Sense you're just starting out...There's a couple other things you should know.

You can NOT shoot (rifle, shotgun, or bow) within 150 yds of any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn without written permission from the landowner...Make sure the gun has a plug...No more than 3 shells total.

Use your OnX Maps app, if you have it...If not, get a Cleveland NF map...Land has to be fenced , cultivated, or posted (3 to the mile) to be legal for private property...OnX will confirm where you're at...Don't chance it, if you're not sure.

Turkeys to be legal, MUST have a visible beard...Some hens have beards, just like as some toms don't...The hen is legal (although we discourage it when they're laying eggs), the tom is NOT...Do NOT shoot birds out of a roost tree at dark thirty!

Shoot time for turkeys is, 1/2 hour before legal sunrise (6:24 am) and 5:00 pm...

Adults can NOT carry a gun or bow on the youth hunt days...You CAN legally carry a sidearm.

Shotshells MUST be NON-LEAD...No lead, including copper or zinc plated lead or shells like Federal 3rd Degree...Which is a mix of lead, copper, and TSS...Your choices are steel (not a good choice), bismuth, Hevi-Shot, or TSS (tungsten).

If you use decoys on public lands, do NOT use a tom/jake decoy...If you feel inclined to do so...Cut the beard off...Always carry your decoys in a bag (good idea with dead bird too).

Lastly, do NOT wear red, white or blue (same color as a gobblers head)...Do wear full camo including hands & face (careful with white socks)...If someone walks up on you, do NOT wave your arms...Yell or shout...Always, if possible, have a large tree at your back.

Good luck
Some mighty fine info here, especially the tips regarding the decoys. Sounds like someone has had their decoy blasted to pieces one time too many!

2 misses on 12 jakes for me so far.

Watching good group now first hens we have seen all morning.

Reactions: sportyg
You all can do it..... Soon we will have lots of happy young hunters who will become life long hunters.

Reactions: MAG 1
3 generations out together this morning. The weather in nor cal has these birds quiet today.

Reactions: Dominic06
Just called in two Jake's 40yds decoy spooked them a little.

Damn right eye dominance on a lefty.

Have that kid shoot right handed..or is he?..he,ll thank you some day ..#1 was that way..until I chicken winged him and forced him to shoot right handed to match his eye .. he's lucky I'm his dad..now get out there and shoot that Jake!!

Great time this morning even though we didn’t see any. Heard one early then tight lipped. My oldest had a blast and really impressed me with his knowledge and patience.
Next time!
Ready for tomorrow with #2! Hopefully throw up a Shaka for Hatch!

Reactions: HATCHET1
Great time this morning even though we didn’t see any. Heard one early then tight lipped. My oldest had a blast and really impressed me with his knowledge and patience.
Next time!
Ready for tomorrow with #2! Hopefully throw up a Shaka for Hatch!
Stay the course bro!! Looking forward to a grip and grin from your kids!!

Reactions: utahduckhunter
Closing time has come and gone...send the Jake pics!!!

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu