12/22 Wister - is this how it works?

If you and your buddies have never duck hunted before, bird ID is going to be your biggest challenge. Ducks from shore birds and not shooting more than 1 pintail which will be 90% of the ducks you'll see in many areas. Hopefully you've done some dove hunting and have an idea on shooting distances. Don't be the people that ruin everyone else's day.

Are you just hunting 12/22? I would recommend hunting Saturday as well if you can. Gives you a jump start on learning the wildlife area and it is generally a better shoot day.

Yea just the 22nd, I am working sat morning 3am to 11 and then heading out there. May get to see it for a bit when meeting up but wont be able to hunt it. May try for some coyote or other critters on the surrounding BLM in the evening. I know the area pretty well from deer season but never been on the WA property.

Oh hell yeah.... let's do this! Bust another Larry, TrapLine double smack-down on a yote! (Only this time, won't bring that shitty Controlled Chaos round, so ya might not get a chance for a coup de grace, HA!) I'll make sure to bring the calls/caller/mojo then.
WP_20190525_002.jpg

Last edited:
Finally Fishing merged into Hunting and I have what I need on hand. The Shark rigging I use should be heavy enough to build the decoy rigs. I have 5oz pyramid weights or 7oz spiders to use, I wish I had some larger barrel weights. Using the rolling weights seems like it would give the decoys a little freedom to drift around but I don't have any that are heavy enough to be effective so stationary it is. With that spider weight especially it's not moving even in the Santa Anas. I watched some videos and saw some made of mono and some wire and looks like the mono they are using is like 400#-600# . It's got to be for tangles more than it is for hold strength. What depth are you guys using? I am going to tie some up and for knee to waist deep and was thinking 2.5' to 3' feet long. Should I tie them longer than that?

IMG_1753.jpg

Oh hell yeah.... let's do this! Bust another Larry, TrapLine double smack-down on a yote! (Only this time, won't bring that shitty Controlled Chaos round, so ya might not get a chance for a coup de grace, HA!) I'll make sure to bring the calls/caller/mojo then.

Those dogs are everywhere out there. If anyone needs a dog as a last minute gift go to D12. I have seen some articles about people picking up the injured ones and putting them in their cars, lol. Nothing like a pissed off injured wild animal in your car with the fam.

Finally Fishing merged into Hunting and I have what I need on hand. The Shark rigging I use should be heavy enough to build the decoy rigs. I have 5oz pyramid weights or 7oz spiders to use, I wish I had some larger barrel weights. Using the rolling weights seems like it would give the decoys a little freedom to drift around but I don't have any that are heavy enough to be effective so stationary it is. With that spider weight especially it's not moving even in the Santa Anas. I watched some videos and saw some made of mono and some wire and looks like the mono they are using is like 400#-600# . It's got to be for tangles more than it is for hold strength. What depth are you guys using? I am going to tie some up and for knee to waist deep and was thinking 2.5' to 3' feet long. Should I tie them longer than that?

View attachment 42388

Use the pyramids...Remember decoys will be in bags...Them other things would be a nightmare trying to get out at dark thirty...You really only need about 3 oz...3' is more than long enough for 95% of your hunting in SoCal.

ps...Try to rig so the weights will be up against the decoy...Again, easy peasy to get out of bags.

.california rigged 003.JPGcalifornia rigged 001.JPGcalifornia rigged 002.JPG

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
You can get something like that at a Micheal's or JOANN's Fabrics store.

I tried making it adjust by using the double barrel crimps and just crimping one side but could not get it to hold.

Here is what I have so far. I am going to try and locate some of the cord depth adjusters and add them. I put some clips on the end of the wire where I can hook them to a carabiner when picking them up and putting them out and keep everything tangle free, hopefully. I have some army laundry bags I think will be perfect to just drop the whole 6 pack in attached to the carabiner and just lift it out of the bag and go set them.

037435AD-602A-426E-8D58-5DE92B012938.jpeg

Something like this maybe, I am using the bead as place holder. I can clip on the decoy and add one of the cord adjusters in place of the bead. I am using the swivel on the end to act as my stopper from it all pulling through but could let me clip extensions on to the existing rig and weight also. Don’t know if it would be useful or not.

2DEB04F1-48BD-4237-A737-986028930C40.jpeg

Reactions: TRICER
Something like this maybe, I am using the bead as place holder. I can clip on the decoy and add one of the cord adjusters in place of the bead. I am using the swivel on the end to act as my stopper from it all pulling through but could let me clip extensions on to the existing rig and weight also. Don’t know if it would be useful or not.

View attachment 42398
That’s pretty hard core right there I like it. I buy special decoy string for mine but that looks a lot better.

Reactions: TrapLine

View attachment 42398

One thing about cord stoppers is, the cord has to be soft (I use Tanglefree clear)...Half the fun of fowling is coming up with your own ideas and trying to make the experience a little easier and successful.

If you and your buddies have never duck hunted before, bird ID is going to be your biggest challenge. Ducks from shore birds and not shooting more than 1 pintail which will be 90% of the ducks you'll see in many areas. Hopefully you've done some dove hunting and have an idea on shooting distances. Don't be the people that ruin everyone else's day.

I have been working on the identification, getting easier the more i review it but recognizing images and one in flight in a split second is going to be challenging at first. I only know the wings so if they are at a different angle I am screwed and they get a pass.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu