12/22 Wister - is this how it works?

You guys will definitely get crap on here for obviously sky busting and driving a 2wd mustang on Wister roads probably causing other dudes trouble getting to their blinds. I wont be one of the guys dishing it out.
My hat is off to @Larry ande @TrapLine for heading down to the refuge and getting a one man limit of Pennies. There is a huge learning curve down there and part of that learning curve is taking your licks from the regulars. The only way your going to figure it out is by continuing to go down there and doing it. Keep applying for the draw. Way to go somewhere new and put a duck down.
Side note I like my ducks within 30 yards before I pull the trigger. As you learned they are tough birds. Normally if there are a few guys shooting they get a few rounds in them anyways so it knocks them down good. It's not uncommon for a duck or goose to fly a 100 yards before it finally drops out of the sky.

Last edited:
Trap n Larry, next time hit me up. Possibly a better chance scoring ducks jump shooting them in the drain ditches. Congrats on doing whatever it takes to get it done. The stang survived! I grew up with a AMC Concord car and that thing was a beast of hunting car. Skybusting, some don’t know what it is until you actually try it.

Happy Holidays

You guys will definitely get crap on here for obviously sky busting and driving a 2wd mustang on Wister roads probably causing other dudes trouble getting to their blinds. I wont be one of the guys dishing it out.
My hat is off to @Larry ande @TrapLine for heading down to the refuge and getting a one man limit of Pennies. There is a huge learning curve down there and part of that learning curve is taking your licks from the regulars. The only way your going to figure it out is by continuing to go down there and doing it. Keep applying for the draw. Way to go somewhere new and put a duck down.
Side note I like my ducks within 30 yards before I pull the trigger. As you learned they are tough birds. Normally if there is a few guys shooting they get a few rounds in them anyways so it knocks them down good. It's not uncommon for a duck or goose to fly a 100 yards before it finally drops out of the sky.

Learning curve for sure, but was a lotta fun. I am going to keep going out there, I have reservations for the next two weekends.

Who wants to go? I’ll drive.

Trap n Larry, next time hit me up. Possibly a better chance scoring ducks jump shooting them in the drain ditches. Congrats on doing whatever it takes to get it done. The stang survived! I grew up with a AMC Concord car and that thing was a beast of hunting car. Skybusting, some don’t know what it is until you actually try it.

Happy Holidays

i’m down
The “huntstang” gets you in range of what? Clearly not “in range” of those pintails you were “blasting away” at all day...

That bird hit the ground 10 yards away from us. Not a hole in one but we were keeping it pretty tight.

Learning curve for sure, but was a lotta fun. I am going to keep going out there, I have reservations for the next two weekends.

Who wants to go? I’ll drive.

I don't know how you got stuck when it was the driest it's been since October. The Mustang (or 2wd truck) should not go past the asphalt after the rain the place is getting today and Friday.

I don't know how you got stuck when it was the driest it's been since October. The Mustang (or 2wd truck) should not go past the asphalt after the rain the place is getting today and Friday.
He totally could have done it in the Mustang. He just wasn't reading the terrain well in the AM. Ya know what I mean? Like spotting visual clues to let ya know not to veer near an area that's probably muddy underneath the surface. We used the situation as a "learning" moment, and I talked to him about the things he should have noticed to tip him off that it might be muddy underneath.

who’s idea was it to take your girlfriends car?
Oh man... you win the InterWebz today Man! I came back this morning to review and I'm STILL laughin' when I see this one!

Another subtle comment like that I heard from this other guy was "Oh, they make those for guys now too?" Hehe.

What are those little fast white ones? Bufflehead?

After staring at the decoys all day I think I need to group them differently and bring some in closer and some on shore.

Oh Yeah... and I remember we ended up having one land in the water, pretty much right in front of me a little upstream of this gentle current. The brush piece in front of my sit blocked me from being able to raise my shotgun on it during this particular piece of my FOV. And I'd never seen a duck like that before (I think you're right, Bufflehead) so wasn't 100% sure it was a duck just yet, wanted to be sure so not pissing anybody off by shooting at something I'm not supposed to. But that's just because I didn't have familiarity with this interesting type of duck. For us as city kids, it's just crazy-ass WestGG Mallard pairs all walkin' up in the VON'S parking lot like "Wassup...Bitch. Just hangin' with my Girl, you know. Excuse me Player." (No lie!).

And right about the time the current was starting to bring him into my left-hand side of view shooting port and I'm drawing down...I hear "BOOM!" and look-up in time to see the pellets just barely missing behind this crazy Harlequin colored head! And the thing that really tripped me out about it was the loudness of the sort of BarkHonk that came out of such a little guy! I was like "Whoa, I did not see that coming!". But yeah 1ms later and I'd have pulled my trigger. But I don't necessarily wanna be that guy that steals somebody elses kill after they've already shot it. For that I'd rather wait a sec and see if that guys been given a fair shot at taking another shot before you then give it a go since you're there and locked on and waiting. And when waiting it's easy for them to quickly get far enough away from ya that visually they pass this switch where your brain says, naw, not worth it, won't reach out that far. So then you say "Mental Note, next time don't wait for them to be on a side of a bush, just stand up and shoot over it if you have to and can see them clearly. Don't give that other man the opportunity you've worked just as hard to achieve as him. Just so long as you're abiding by any pre-talked about rules you both agreed to ahead of time. But that's what can make it fun though, as you then can opt to raz that other dude if they missed it when you gave them that opportunity by you adhering to the rules you'd both agreed to. Because it's a definite advantage. And sometimes gentlemen decide who goes first based upon the amount of effort the other party went thru to pull this thing together last minute, you know? Like that's your way of saying thank you for including me in this. We're here and we're in this moment, this round, you get the gift of first shot, let's see what happens, lets go!

Wait so a dude shot at a duck in front of your blind and you wanted to cooperate with that dude to give him a chance.

Why are you not doing video, this shit would be epic and go viral like no other

Wait so a dude shot at a duck in front of your blind and you wanted to cooperate with that dude to give him a chance.

Why are you not doing video, this shit would be epic and go viral like no other
I get what you're saying, but it was kinda between both of us and it was my fault for not having gotten on the target faster when it was more in front of me before. So since he'd just taken a shot, I elect to wait a few moments to confirm his shot didn't take the animal down, before I then determine if I now still have a shot. Just to avoid trouble/hassle.

I think the other shooter might have been Gdogs hunting partner.....? Maybe????
I kind of wish I was with them on this hunt, just as an observer.

Ok kids,

You know that line you should not cross. Don't fucking cross it.

Ok please continue.....

@Dave3006 that's your only warning :) merry Christmas

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu