12/22 Wister - is this how it works?

Of the 104 reservations 8 showed up on time. You could hear the sweat line chomping at the bit behind all 8 of them. I think most of the rage comes from the sweat line. Especially on Sunday and Wednesday when they can just walk on. The WA area was probably only 33% full I would estimate and can do fill ins till 2pm. We could of showed up at noon and got on but the start of shooting time there was a lot of action everywhere in the shadows.

Wait... hold up... we could have been blasting coots? Aw Man!...wish I'd have known. I was giving them a pass since figured they're not ducks.

Also are there any shorebirds on the menu? We had a ton of different shorebirds taunting us all around. Figured they're all off-limits? Yes Or No?

Wait... hold up... we could have been blasting coots? Aw Man!...wish I'd have known. I was giving them a pass since figured they're not ducks.

Also are there any shorebirds on the menu? We had a ton of different shorebirds taunting us all around. Figured they're all off-limits? Yes Or No?

remember I was telling you to look on the back of the yellow kill card they gave us.

Can’t golf without a scorcard.

F4F12350-5063-4F19-AA9E-BEB3BE0A8DC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh man... and then... as we're driving back to the hunter check-in...OMG... we pass this AG field that's just covered... COVERED in Snow Geese! But it's not the hunting area so ya gotta just drive on past... Sigh...

Oh man... and then... as we're driving back to the hunter check-in...OMG... we pass this AG field that's just covered... COVERED in Snow Geese! But it's not the hunting area so ya gotta just drive on past... Sigh...

I didnt know this at the time, the back of my map was covered in mud, but we could of went and swapped blinds up to two times if it was available and got closer to that flock that was taunting us all day.

Are you using Archery Gear / Flu-Flu's for the take or something? is that why your draw number was oddly low? Those must make for some awesome pics then, eh? Ducks with Harpooned Fishing arrows thru them, as you then turn the crank on your bow to reel them back in to you without a dog. A person would definitely have to give you up respect if you pulled that one off with a bow for ducks!

Cant believe i was stuck shooting this thing while Larry and the trap went to wister on a duck shoot...why was this trip not filmed and posted on the internet? Viral in minutes...nice duck guys. And super strong work.Resized_20191220_180112(2).jpeg

AG field covered in snow geese? Sounds like its time to dust off the 380 acp.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGDog and TRICER
Apparently the farmers wouldn't mind if you did... they said they steal a lot of seed when they try to plant new crops. But it's just that there are certain federal rules that apply in terms of the need to make sure they document all the animals that are taken. And I don't know how they'd make sure that took place unless it's in that whole area they designed for it.

Besides, me with that .380? That would be an unfair advantage I'd be having to all the shotgun ducker guys though. <Tongue in cheek>

Sigh...

You can come get my snow decoys but only if you post video of the hunt.

Reactions: TRICER

I think there were Snipe where we were at. Should double check that with images online. I seem to recall there are a few different type of Snipe so wonder if there's a regulation about that too, like only this certain kind of Snipe? But most of them fly crazy dang fast, so you're a lot less likely to hit one I'd think.

Those Wood Ducks were crazy fast flyers! Gave me the same vibe as watching Quail SkyRocket away on a flush.

Another super-cool bonus was when these mega flocks of both blackbirds and also some ultra-fast flying, (like X-wing Fighters) Shore Birds swooping in mega-numbers overhead. Those are the things I didn't know about going there and thought it was supercool to experience being soo deep up in their "hood" like that! Loved the sounds of the wings rushing by! And how it heightens up your senses to be on point hoping to see what you're looking for in there by chance within the chaos of one flock crossing the path of another sometimes! Your eyes darting into the cluster of forms all around you, you ID'ing them like your brain is on WildFire hoping to see/spot the ones you're looking for!

And birder is born....its all over now Larry...them birds are something special..hell, im on the bird forum on xmas...that should speak volumes..cant wait to get back after it this week!!

Wait... You think there'd be dust on my .380? HaHA! NayNay! Gotta keep going out and having fun with it at the range seeing just how tight you can hold it's groups at distance, especially for it being such a tiny gun. But it'll do it, if you can do it in terms of holding yourself steady for the shot. It amazes me for such a short 2.7" barrel, just how accurate it can actually be! Love the 3-Dot Tritium Night Sites! Helps a bunch for those of us wearing optical correction 24/7. The Tritium insert actually emits its own light from a isotope breaking down slowly over time. But their supposed to last like a range of 7-14yrs I think? It's real cool seeing how those 3 lighted dots at night can combine so naturally for you instinctively if you repeat your form for coming to draw to be the same each time!

And birder is born....its all over now Larry...them birds are something special..hell, im on the bird forum on xmas...that should speak volumes..cant wait to get back after it this week!!
Even if I wanted to, which I would, I gotta wait for this damn knuckle to ease on back down. I mean, if push cam to shove I'd still do it anyway while still swollen, I'd just have to be real picky about holding it firm and shouldered firm before pulling the trigger, so the dang triggerguard wouldn't hammer me backwards again.

But Yeah... Heck yeah, sure, I'd totally come do it again. This type of hunting is pretty fun because it's easier exertion-wise and you're presented with a lot more possible shot opportunities then when going for big-game. And I also felt that this hunting type benefitted from choosing the opportunity to move around a bit within your whole designated area. So strategically moved down a bit later past like 1:30p or so, when things seemed more settled down for a minute. Where I picked to sit, the logic worked out right with what I was observing earlier in the day, so at just a hair after 4p, KAPOW!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu