300 WSM vs 300 WM

I replaced the stock on my 308 tikka with a Ben and Carlson. It was cheap but beats the factory plastic mold.

I have a cheaper lightweight Nikon on it because I plan to put my Maven on the new 300 WM and a new Razor LHT on the 6.5 PRC.

AB77CF00-E924-4B75-9031-AB9BDDCC508A.jpeg

Well I have decided on getting the Christensen Arms Mesa Ti in 300 WM. Plan on putting a Vortex Razor HD LHT on it and pushing the 181 gr Hammer Hunters with RL23 to start.

I've read that guys shooting that combo between 3100 and 3200 FPS with good brass (ADG / Gunwerks)

Reactions: TRICER
Well I have decided on getting the Christensen Arms Mesa Ti in 300 WM. Plan on putting a Vortex Razor HD LHT on it and pushing the 181 gr Hammer Hunters with RL23 to start.

I've read that guys shooting that combo between 3100 and 3200 FPS with good brass (ADG / Gunwerks)
What is the barrel twist? Is that what is limiting you to the lighter HH?

Typically it is not stamped on the gun but you can look up the model # generally and figure it out. One of the biggest reasons that centerfire rifles don’t shoot copper well is they have to slow of a twist for the longer bullets.

They really need to speed up rifle twist there is no reason to keep factory rifles so slow it is very hard to over twist a bullet but very easy to under twist. Not only copper but High BC bullets require a faster twist as well

Reactions: JakeSCH
you definitely can over spin bullets but yes the mass produced guns have been slow to change twist rates. very few guns can shoot the EOL burgers with their heavy weight long projectiles and here in calif the extra long for weight compounds that problem even more.

when we build custom guns we tend to make them for a specific class of bullet. They can shoot others but will be over or under spun for anything outside the range.

Typically it is not stamped on the gun but you can look up the model # generally and figure it out. One of the biggest reasons that centerfire rifles don’t shoot copper well is they have to slow of a twist for the longer bullets.

They really need to speed up rifle twist there is no reason to keep factory rifles so slow it is very hard to over twist a bullet but very easy to under twist. Not only copper but High BC bullets require a faster twist as well

That said, how do you know if 120 gr. Federal Trophy Copper is OK in a new Ruger American 6.5 CM?

Reactions: TRICER
The CA is a 1-10". I really like the 1-9" twist on Fierce's Rival but I decided to go with a rifle with a remington 700 style Ti action that I could build upon in the future while getting some immediate results.

I could also shoot the 196 gr Hammers that are designed for the 1-10 twist, however it basically has the same BC than the 181 gr bullets (g7 of 0.268 vs 0.272)...so I figured I would take the extra velocity over weight.

What is the barrel twist? Is that what is limiting you to the lighter HH?

I forgot to mention that Steve from Hammer Bullets recommends the 181 gr over the heavier ones for sub 800 shots on game in the 300 WM. They have also hit 3300 FPS on the chrono...oh boy I do not think I am going to push it that hard.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu