ALASKA!

Can't wait to see first meal you prepare with your harvest. I would rather taste it but, I'll settle for photos.

Well I ate some steaks off a hindquarter when I got home last week. Then I did a major weekend of meat grinding and all told ended up with about 100 pounds of elk and sheep burger and deer sausage. So we had some sheep burgers too. Then I had some family over Sunday night and we had backstrap. Put it in the sous vide for about 2 hrs at 124 and then did a sear in a nuclear temp cast iron to finish it…. Delish.
59012283-9078-4B9E-A6A9-DBA669477246.jpeg2EEAC600-B043-4F5F-99F0-74FA2DDE279C.jpeg

Well I ate some steaks off a hindquarter when I got home last week. Then I did a major weekend of meat grinding and all told ended up with about 100 pounds of elk and sheep burger and deer sausage. So we had some sheep burgers too. Then I had some family over Sunday night and we had backstrap. Put it in the sous vide for about 2 hrs at 124 and then did a sear in a nuclear temp cast iron to finish it…. Delish.
View attachment 50315View attachment 50316
Pure sexy

Awesome. I kinda like Alaska.... I also àm the owner of a Barneys frame pack. This thread makes me wanna cry. Congratulations Kelllen... can't wait to bring him back to life. Ed F

Awesome. I kinda like Alaska.... I also àm the owner of a Barneys frame pack. This thread makes me wanna cry. Congratulations Kelllen... can't wait to bring him back to life. Ed F
Thank you Ed, it’s an incredible place and an incredible experience. When I booked this trip I considered it to be a once in a lifetime trip. I already know I’ll be back. Can’t wait to see him on the wall!

Reactions: BOWUNTR
Thank you Ed, it’s an incredible place and an incredible experience. When I booked this trip I considered it to be a once in a lifetime trip. I already know I’ll be back. Can’t wait to see him on the wall!
After talking with you and seeing all the pictures I told the wife I am going. I don't know when but my life will not be complete until I go to AK.

After talking with you and seeing all the pictures I told the wife I am going. I don't know when but my life will not be complete until I go to AK.
You gotta go Drew. I know an outfitter I’d highly recommend with pretty reasonable prices…. I’d be interested in doing the DIY caribou drop camp thing but there’s a part of me also that just says save the money and go for sheep again when I can. There’s something special about those animals and the places you hunt them in. 200 bucks a month gets you there in less than 10 years, at current prices anyway.

If you haven’t seen them yet check out the Billy Molls videos on YouTube.

Reactions: baboltin and TRICER
Billy is the real deal...own the whole box set..best 400 I've spent in awhile..

Reactions: Kellendv
I do not want to imagine my wife’s look on her face if i bring up spending 20k on a hunt.

I honestly better start prepping her now. It’s probably less about the money and more about me being gone for that long.

I do not want to imagine my wife’s look on her face if i bring up spending 20k on a hunt.

I honestly better start prepping her now. It’s probably less about the money and more about me being gone for that long.
You gotta tee it up like you’re doing the smart, responsible thing… set up a vanguard investment account and put whatever you can afford every month in it and tell her you want to do some travel hunts in the future but you don’t want to impact your month to month/day to day finances. Buy something super safe like VTI or whatever index fund you like. Make it an automatic deposit and set it and forget it. It adds up pretty quick. Oh and make sure you encourage her to do whatever it is she is interested in.

I do understand though. Going on this hunt was a big decision for me. And leaving for two weeks is hard on your spouse. Especially if you have kids or animals. Life is all about experiences though! And sheep hunting is an incredible experience! You will go to some places you would never go looking for other species. I’m already saving to do it again. Die with memories….

Last edited:
You gotta tee it up like you’re doing the smart, responsible thing… set up a vanguard investment account and put whatever you can afford every month in it and tell her you want to do some travel hunts in the future but you don’t want to impact your month to month/day to day finances. Buy something super safe like VTI or whatever index fund you like. Make it an automatic deposit and set it and forget it. It adds up pretty quick. Oh and make sure you encourage her to do whatever it is she is interested in.

I do understand though. Going on this hunt was a big decision for me. And leaving for two weeks is hard on your spouse. Especially if you have kids or animals. Life is all about experiences though! And sheep hunting is an incredible experience! You will go to some places you would never go looking forward other species. I’m already saving to do it again. Die with memories….
I am going next year working on a crew now. No time
For long term investments. Get psyched!

I literally bought my 338 RUM for a future AK hunt...maybe I will get to it much sooner than I anticipated!

Yeah, man I am going counter "what is right". Planning on taking out several hundred k from equity in my house to invest...goal is to offset wifes income with investments. Once that is done, she won't care about how much I spend. lol...still need to work on the timing. I might need to take her to a resort next summer.

I literally bought my 338 RUM for a future AK hunt...maybe I will get to it much sooner than I anticipated!

Yeah, man I am going counter "what is right". Planning on taking out several hundred k from equity in my house to invest...goal is to offset wifes income with investments. Once that is done, she won't care about how much I spend. lol...still need to work on the timing. I might need to take her to a resort next summer.
No right way… just what’s right for you.

just put it all in dogecoin what's the worst that can happen! SOFI so fly today BTW.
Sorry enough with the investments and back to AK sell your Kidney lets go next year. No time to wait what if you get his by a bus and never get to go

My buddy swears to me that NFT's are the next big thing. Essentially digital trading cards...throw 10k at it and could be worth millions by next year...so one says.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu