Almost chukar time

Ahhh yes, the devil bird. Like I have said many times, the first time you hunt them is for fun, every time after is pure revenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ilovesprig
Any advice for a guy who has never chased them before?
If you are in area that someone has told you about, see if you can locate a water source, maybe a guzzler. A locater call might help to get then talking, they sound like they are laughing at you, because they are. Head uphill towards the rimrocks. It's always nice to have someone stay low, Why? because when they break they will likely fly down right where you just came from. Damn birds. With all the rain, it might be decent year. Check out the Stoddard Wells area.

Reactions: 180ls1
If you are in area that someone has told you about, see if you can locate a water source, maybe a guzzler. A locater call might help to get then talking, they sound like they are laughing at you, because they are. Head uphill towards the rimrocks. It's always nice to have someone stay low, Why? because when they break they will likely fly down right where you just came from. Damn birds. With all the rain, it might be decent year. Check out the Stoddard Wells area.

Thanks. I do have a buddy willing to point me to a few places so I wouldn't be starting blind. Are we talking full chokes as well because they bust far out or no?

Thanks. I do have a buddy willing to point me to a few places so I wouldn't be starting blind. Are we talking full chokes as well because they bust far out or no?
I use Imp. cyl.. and mod, in my over under 12 gauge. #6, or #4 with f&#king steel. If you have a good bird dog, the birds tend to hold a little tighter. The Ord Mts. have been known to hold them. Also Ridgecrest. But I don't think those ares open until third weekend in Oct. Same as upland birds.

Anyone have any good areas you can road hunt them. Let's say from a f150 with fender flairs, asking for a friend

• Haha
Road hunting for chukar isn't super likely but I have came across them occasionally in the flats. Usually mid day in the shade of a sage brush bush.
Shotgun season isn't until October. A mod or improved cylinder and boss no.7 work well for me since the lead ban. Archery chukar starts August 19

Reactions: 180ls1
I've hunted chukar since they were introduced (late 50's) into the Ridgecrest, China lake, Black Mt. Scodie's, Jawbone Cyn. and lower Sierra's...They are devil birds, but they are addicting......:heart:

Adam,

I have lots of places for you to hunt, but your leg will have to be in top notch shape...Rarely, do you get them in rolling or flat lands.......;)

IMG_0080.JPG

I've hunted chukar since they were introduced (late 50's) into the Ridgecrest, China lake, Black Mt. Scodie's, Jawbone Cyn. and lower Sierra's...They are devil birds, but they are addicting......:heart:

Adam,

I have lots of places for you to hunt, but your leg will have to be in top notch shape...Rarely, do you get them in rolling or flat lands.......;)

View attachment 59176
Thanks buddy. You were exactly who I had in mind. Maybe we'll see about getting out before season ends. I should be able to "return to sport" around New Years.

Man we use to pound them up there..im guessing that pic was from the late 80s or so.. definitely no truck hunting those bastards...pic the steepest nastiest rockiest mountain and start walking up..soon as you get to the top..they fly down to where you started...repeat process until limit is reached..Its a love /hate relationship with the red legged partridge...uggh.

Man we use to pound them up there..im guessing that pic was from the late 80s or so.. definitely no truck hunting those bastards...pic the steepest nastiest rockiest mountain and start walking up..soon as you get to the top..they fly down to where you started...repeat process until limit is reached..Its a love /hate relationship with the red legged partridge...uggh.
Or you can go over to the local game bird perveyor and buy a few and plant them in your field and eat grain raised birds at half the expense with no aggravation. We use them as part of gun dog training and they eat damn good. Just sayin...

Last edited:
Or you can over to the local game bird perveyor and buy a few and plant them in your field and eat grain raised birds at half the expense with no aggravation. We use them as part of gun dog training and they eat damn good. Just sayin...
No, no, no. don't go telling him that. One must start out chukar hunting just like Hatch mention. One must pay their dues in order to know the pain of hunting them little bastards.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu