Almost chukar time

Any use bringing binos?
Adam,

Yes & No....Like was mentioned, they are quite vocal....The name "Chukar" comes from the rapid "chuk,chuk,chuk,chuk" sound they make...Their true name is red-legged partridge.

Early in the morning or if broke up, they will call a lot, especially if they're the young of the year...Last season in Montana (and there's not a lot), we stopped at small canyons until we heard them...Glassing up the hills or mountains could possibly help and has...I just don't walk with them...The lighter the better... ;)

IMG_6401.JPG

Reactions: 180ls1
Sometimes if you break a covey and they set down right away ( not likely ), and you get up on them the singles will hold tighter. That's where to fun starts especially if you hav e good dog. I hate Chukar, I mean I love Chukar, or both.

Sometimes if you break a covey and they set down right away ( not likely ), and you get up on them the singles will hold tighter. That's where to fun starts especially if you hav e good dog. I hate Chukar, I mean I love Chukar, or both.

Oh, and don't take your nicest shotgun....You will fall................;)

ps....Story....So my dad gets a beautiful Browning sweet 20 A-5 for being the president of the Compton & Fishing Club...On our very first chukar hunt...My dad lets me take the A-5 up the mountain...I get my 1st limit of chukar...Walking down the mountain, I slip and go tumbling into the rocks...The "Humpy" goes flying...:scream:...When I get back, my dad blows a gasket...Then he asked me, "Did you get 'em?"...Yes, my limit...All was forgiven...We laughed about that time, until he passed.....:broken_heart:

IV Humpy '23.JPG

18 more days and I can start chasing chukar
Yah, the season is approaching but its hot and I’m not ready for those climbs yet!! Probably will wait until late Oct/November when it cools down.

6 of us just did a 3-day 200+ mile backcountry run in the SxSs and base camp was in chukar central. Kept looking up at the exact routes on those mountains where I’ve chased the bastards. Should be a good year. Elk haven’t shown up yet but should see them in a couple of weeks or so.

Give us an update on your opening outing. And good luck.

Couple pics of our “scouting” trip in chukar country.

Camping.jpg

Switchback stop.jpg

River rafting.PNG

So who's going out with a bow this month?
I keep some small game heads in my quiver while archery hunting for deer in case I come across them (or quail... more likely), but I don't target them with a bow.

Reactions: sportyg
Or you can go over to the local game bird perveyor and buy a few and plant them in your field and eat grain raised birds at half the expense with no aggravation. We use them as part of gun dog training and they eat damn good. Just sayin...
Heck you might as well head to the store and buy chicken at that point. Nothing like wild chukar.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu